Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs-n-foil??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fellow Eggers,[p] I was wondering if there was any place for a foil wrap segment when cooking ribs. So far the two slabs of pork spares have soaked in Apple cider vinegar/ lime juice for 24 hours and then marinated in rub overnight. I've put them in a drip pan on the rib rack @~ 250 degrees. Sugar maple and Hickory combo for smoke. [p] I was thinking after 2 hours or so, I would wrap them in foil for a couple of hours and then put them back on the rack for the last hour. Similar to a brisket....[p] Any input appreciated
Hubbq

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Hubbq,[p]I do them all the time like that. 3 hrs indirect - 1 hour in foil - 1 to 1.5 hrs direct. They come out perfect every time. That has been a standard method here for about 3 years after someone visited and posted here about it. Many of us tried it and found it to be the method of choice for baby backs. Spares come out great too.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tim M,
    What about the juice in the drip pan below...add a little in the foil or just place the ribs in the drip pan with a foil cover?
    Thanks alot for the guidance
    Hubbq

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Tim M,
    During your foil portion of the cook, do you have them on direct or indirect?

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Hubbq, the link below is a copy of the original post made by George T on 10/19/99. He used 3/2/1 which was gradually changed to 3/1/1.5 - depends on how you like them. [p]Also check out http://bbq.yyyz.net - look down the left menu for ribs - you'll find more details there. Here is another page for details -
    3-2-1[p]

[ul][li]George T's Post[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Hubbq,[p]I pitch the juices in the drip pan. I don't use them for anything. The foil wrapped hour produces a lot of fat too - I don't use it either.[p]Tim
  • Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Tim M,
    I've used the juices for gravy. HOLYYYYYYYYYYY COW!!! I'm a HUGE fan of GFW's method. I learned something from this too for absolutely fabulous bulk (fifty at a time) tri-tip that I cook for picnics and company feeds. I dust the tri-tips in Pappy's seasoning (a west coast rub) and put them in ziplocs overnight. I fire up the big grills (HUGE) with lump mesquite and let it the coals burn off the black. I sear the tri-tips all on one side. Believe me, I'm getting rendered down in my boots from these huge steel monsters. When they're good and browned. I have help wrapping them all up in foil good and tight. I turn them every ten minutes or so. After about 45 minutes, we unwrap them and finish them over the coals to crust them back up. They're incredibly tender. Now, all you have to do on your egg is cook the danged thing at 350 but doing it over open grills took creativity. How to get the meat to stay juicy and tender over the open fire was simply adapting the foil technique learned right here from GFW! Cooking for up to 300 people takes a lot of work and this really helps. The only better way is the huge deep pits at the fair grounds and a LOT of beer!