Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQII

Options
danny285
danny285 Posts: 360
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Am waiting on DigiQII to arrive, have 2 Boston pork butts waiting to try it out with, any suggestions to look out for on first use. If it works as well as the turbo grate it will be a great addition to BGE, there seems to be no end of acc for BGE

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I got the 10 fan. On first use, I overshot my target temp by about 100 degrees. I asked around on here and the advice was to slide the damper down to about a third the open. You'll have to use your own experience to get the exact right setting.

Has performed ever since...until I tried to cook an overnight in the freezing cold. The moisture that comes out of the bottom vent froze, creating a thin sheet of ice over the adjusted opening. I woke up and my dome temp was down to about 176. Knocked the ice out and she came right back up. Small delay, the pulled pork was incredible. I bet you're stoked...pun intended. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • danny285
    Options
    BBQ Bob rec the 10cfm for my Lrg BGE, hope all freezing weather is gone hr in Ar. cant wait to get it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Freezing weather doesn't matter with the egg or using the egg with the DigiQII (q2).

Once you get to temperature close the air slider down to 1/3 and close the slider on the DFMT. Close the petals down to 1/4 or less open.

With the q2 slider completely open, and the fan not running there is usually enough air flow going through the opening to keep the egg hotter than a low and slow cook.

If you read the instructions you will see the preferred fan duty cycle, that is how you determine how far open to keep the slider on the fan.

Other than that, it is all pretty simple - read through the instruction manual.

GG
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Oh man, you will love it! Please read my "amusing BBQ Guru" post earlier to get a laugh.
    You will not regret buying that thing B)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi Danny,

If you don't already have it the DigiQ II User Guide here is more detailed then the one that will come with it.
    I have the Turbo Grate and DigiQII on my medium BGE and love them. For a low and slow I keep the damper on the 10CFM blower at 50% and the daisy closed all the way. With the pit temp set to 230º and the lump filled to the top of the fire ring it will burn perfectly for more then 24 hours.
    Your internal temp on those Boston Butts is probably going to plateau a couple times. Don't be alarmed if they take longer then expected. If you search the forum, there is an endless supply of information here.

Gator
  • danny285
    Options
    thanks Gator Bait, i have printed out the manual and am studying it, thanks for advice, i was wondering about the daisy wheel.
  • OKCegger
    OKCegger Posts: 38
    Options
    You will love your DigQII. I can sleep all night! :lol:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hey Danny,

On a low and slow like Boston Butts I will set up the DigiQ before I light the lump. When ready I light it well in one spot, usually the center, and place the plate setter, drip pan and grate in place. I then clip the pit probe to the grate, and make sure the DigiQ is plugged in and running. This way the DigiQ will control the temp of the egg while the fire is getting started and stabilizing and you do not over shoot your pit temp when you fire up. When you put your meat on the grill, there are good instructions for placing the pit probe here. Also opening the BGE during a cook releases a lot of heat and will cause the DigiQ to have to compensate, it is not unusual for your temp to take some pretty big fluctuations before it has recovered. Do not try to adjust for these temperature jumps or you will just end up driving yourself crazy. The DigiQ should after a few minutes get everything back under control and the pit temp back to what you have it set for. The less the BGE is open the quicker it will recover. At low temps you can keep the daisy shut and let the DigiQ do all the work, mine is very stable this way. For higher temp cooks you may have to play with the damper and vents to get enough airflow.

Hope this helps.

Gator