Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All - Doing a 6.7lb turkey breast this afternoon; have done other things, & am no stranger to my egg, but this is first time with turkey breast. Have rubbed (garlic, pepper, Celtic salt, & a little cayane in cooking oil paste) & injected with chicken broth, a little garlic oil, & black pepper. Was thinking 325-350 degrees dome; any ball park estimates for how long it may take? Thanx - ERIC - p.s. - have a choice of pecan, apple, maple, or no smoke...

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    e.b.,
    Strictly ball park - 15 mins per pound at 300 to 325° indirect. I love fruit wood: I'd use the apple.[p]So tell me, what's "Celtic salt"?[p]Ken

• BlueSmoke, Celtic salt is harvested from an ancient sea salt bed/marsh in France. It is a light gray/brown "rock" salt, the result of eons of gentle mixing w/wind blown clay dust from the adjoining plains. Has a delicate, slightly sweet, earthy taste, & is related to the "lavender" salts harvested in the same part of the world, which take their name (& flavor) from the wind blown pollen from the lavender meadows in the region. Good stuff, & elevates salt from plain old table salt to a spice grade condiment. It came from the little gourmet food shop where my wife used to work; jar says it is a product of "The Grain and Salt Society" of Asheville, N.C. Thanx for the advice - plan on putting breast on around 3:00 p.m. ERIC [p]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    E.B.,
    Celt to Celt - please email me.[p]Ken

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    e.b.,
    I've been playing with turkey breasts quite a bit lately and have been using pecan. I've been starting them off at low and slow of 200 for about an hour THEN finishing them off at 300 until 160 internal. Indirect over a pizza stone of course. They seem much better then. We like the smoke I guess.

• Huck, Breast took a little over 2 hours (6.7lb), but I think I can pull it a little bit sooner next time, as it was not quite as moist as I would like, but it was not dry. Took it to 165 internal & let rest in the cooler about 40 min. Great flavor - used a small chunk of sugar maple for smoke. I have a horror of undercooked poultry, but next time I'll pull it just a tad sooner, & let it sit in the cooler & think about it...ERIC[p]