Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Rub.....Mustard or no Mustard?

Options
MikeTek
MikeTek Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been experimenting with different ways to prepare a Brisket and I was thinking about trying the mustard coat idea on this one. I like the idea of the thin mustard coat holding in the moisture and allowing the rub to hold on better....however I am not a fan of mustard taste. I've read that the mustard flavor cooks out and you don't taste it, I was just wondering what folks opinions around here are.

Thanks in advance

Mike B in KC

Comments

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    No Mustard...Olive Oil instead....only after being tumbled of course....
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    I started out doing all kinds of mustard slathers..Tried many of the variations Paul Kirk had in his cookbooks as well as my own. It took a while, but I came to my own conclusion that mustard slathers do very little and it has more of a mystique around it than actual value in the final product. You certainly don't taste the mustard but what I do know is that if I cook two briskets the exact same way with the only difference being one has mustard, it will be a crapshoot as to which one turns out a better overall product.

Others will certainly disagree.. so in the end it's more a matter of personal preference.

Good Luck !! Half the fun is in the experimenting !!
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    I have cooked them both ways. To answer your question, no you really do not taste the mustard in the finished product. As for which way comes out better, who knows? I have never done side by side cooking of two briskets w. and wo. mustard. In the past I have had brisket come out good both ways. Give the mustard a try and post results, good luck.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Absolutely personal preferance.I have done both ways, like the others said, hard to tell the difference.However I have not done a comparison at the same time.As for me,I would never cook a brisket without cooking a Butt over it.Mustard or not.May be my imagination.But the few I've cooked solo did not compare to the ones bathed in pork drippings.This is my opinion and certainly not intended to offend anyone with other views!!! :whistle: