Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

really worth it?

dan
dan Posts: 57
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love to grill, and I am about to purchase a new one, I was just wondering what makes the BGE worht the money? How hard is the tempeture to control? How hard is it to add charcoal to it if you're smoking something? In general, Why would I buy a BGE over another type of Grill. Thanks in Advance
Dan

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    babybacks03.jpg
    <p />Dan,
    Well, ribs, steaks, ribs, beer butt chicken, ribs, beef jerky and then some more ribs.
    Great for high searing of steaks and great for low and slow.[p]CWM

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Dan,
    Temperature control is easy once you practice on a few cooks. If you start with something easy and forgiving like chicken, you'll quickly learn how to control temperatures. I had never had a charcoal cooker before I bought my egg and I had no trouble learning to use it.[p]You will never have to add charcoal to an existing fire with the Egg. It can go 30 hours on a full load for a low and slow 225 degree cook. [p]What makes it great is its versatility. You can cook at low temperatures and at nuclear temperatures. If you live up north, you will find you can cook in extremely cold weather without batting an eye. MEtal smokers usually require insulation being rigged up to cook in very cold weather. Peruse the forum and look at all the different types of things people are cooking. It's a great cooker and you will really enjoy it if you buy one. As long as you don't want to push a button and twist a dial (i.e. a gas grill) to get your heat, as long as you like playing with charcoal and building and controller a fire, this is a great way to go.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Dan,
    Heat is easy to control after a little learning curve. Most of us only too a few cooks to learn to accurately control temps from 250º right up the scale to over 1000º
    As for adding lump, I did two fresh pork shoulders last weekend for the family and after an 18 hour cook there was still enough lump left for the kids hamburgers a couple of small steaks and some sausage. As for the "other" things. Most of us cook all winter because ceramic works great the heat doesn't get sucked off anywhere near as fast as it does from the tin tops.
    Your investment will be well made and you'll have the forum to walk you through any questions or anxieties before during or after a cook. Don't worry, it'll be fine.

• dan
    dan Posts: 57
    Thanks everyone, I have a cheap charcaol grill now, but I am moving intoanew house and thought that as much as I grill ( 5 times a week) I should get something good. Thanks again, I look forward to a lot of good recipes
    Dan

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Dan,
    Aw heck, if you already cook 5 times a week on a charcoal grill, you'll have no trouble with an Egg. And you will love all the things you can do! Hope to see you back here with a new egg![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Dan,[p]In a word "YES"! If you care about the taste of food, and enjoy grilling, you can't go wrong. It will be the last grill you will own (well, many Eggers own more than one) and you'll wish you had discovered it sooner.[p]Smokey
  • Dan,
    Being a new egg owner myself I can assure you that it will be the best cooking investment you can make. We do a cooking show in Atlanta Ga. and we looked at a lot of different grills and chose the BGE as the one we wanted to promote....Cost is a one time thing, PRICE is a LIFETIME thing....You only pay once and the the ROI (return of investment) will continue for years to come.....the Fat Man! EGG on baby!

• Dan,[p]Good luck in your new house! Hmmmm....An Egg would make
    a great House Warming gift!!

• Dan,[p]Just wanted to put my opinion out there. I am a new egg owner myself and had the same feelings of what to buy,cost etc. All I can say though is that egg owners are a good group of people bonded by the forum. Its much like Harley owners or car club people. There are more and less expensive grills available,but only one egg. Pull the trigger and become one of us.
  • Dear Sundown,
    I noticed your posting to "is it worth it?" today and in your response you say you did two (2) pork shoulders reccently. I want to do two of the same on the 4th of July for a very big crowd and hope you can give me your expertise. Is it possible to do so on a medium egg? How long a cook did you have? I have done this in my old water smoker but have never been able to adjust the temperature as I am hoping to do on the egg.

• Car Wash Mike,[p]Nice ribs! Are you using an inverted v-rack as a rib rack?
    Is that a drip-pan under the grill? (If so, what is the pan resting on?)[p]Tks

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Tony, That is a inverted V-rack and I think the drip pan was setting on a grid extender under the main grid. I have since gone to a placesetter which is the way to go.
    I use the v-rack and place the ribs in the slots, I just prop them up for BBQ sauce and taking a nice pic.[p]CWM

• another friend,
    Yep! Just as I thought. It's the nature of the BGE to promote their own cult and ban anything else.

• The above is just my opinion from what I've observed and seen here at the BGE forum. I hope I may change "the policy" of the BGE forum to be a bit more lineate towards other owners of ceramic cookers. We Are all of "The SAME Creed!" Just because BGE is more established and the most well known ceramic cooker manufacturer in the U.S. that should be no reason BGE should fear completion from other ceramic cooker manufacturers. BGE Has A GREAT Produce!!!.... And, Ya Got Competition too!!! Deal with it and have faith in your own product without shutting out all the other great ceramic cookers! [p]We "CAN" work together and help each other without chaos and forum disruption.
  • Well, " something " has been censored and deleted from this thread because I was responding to "a friend" and "another friend." Go Figure. Ain't it great to participate in such a ruling site? Maybe someone messed up while trying to delete me. It could happen.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Hickory~Nut,[p]By posting here you agree to the rules....... and, H~N, no one is going to censor you for cooking on something other than a bge....... hell, look at all of the great photos by Darryl over the years.[p]Now, the above is the official stance. However, I will let you in on a little secret......
    The rule against product comparison is not really to promote peace and order on the forum as some would have you think.
    In actuality, the true goal behind the Mastermind's rule is a far greater conspiracy of simple and utter global dominance and submission of the masses through the New Green Order.
    You see, the mind and food altering qualities of the egg are broadcast through the Conduit (aka bge forum) that radiate from the Mothership which clandestinely hovers over the dark side of the moon, biding it's time, listening to Pink Floyd, studying their cookbook/bible "To Serve Man" and patiently awaiting for the Moment to pounce.
    When the Moment is ripe, all will submit..... those who do not, will be barbecued.
    It's all really very simple.[p]Have a nice day! (smiley face)
    John[p]

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    WooDoggies,[p]rotflmao
  • WooDoggies,[p]Ahhh Ha! I knew it! I just didn’t want to be the one to scare the entire population here on earth! [p]BGE = Big Green Extraterrestrials [p]EGG = Establishing Global Genocide [p]Egg = (code name for these extraterrestrials hatched from green eggs) [p]WARNING: This creed of extraterrestrials have the ability to take on the form of semi-normal looking earthlings and sometimes refer to themselves as Eggheads or EGGsperts. They may be identified as having big guts, big craniums or big egos. They will invite you to their BBQ. Their BBQn’ Bible/Cookbook is “To Serve Man!” They are armed with MAPP torches and long pointy probes and are considered to be dangerous. If you should encounter one of these extraterrestrials, it is best advised that you just shout PEACE! LET'S EAT - YEA BGE!, and then run for your life.[p]PEACE! LET'S EAT - YEA BGE!!!
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Hickory~Nut,[p]Egggggggcellent. You do understand.[p]Heeeee! which is the official Battle Cry and acronym for........
    Halfbaked Eggstraterrestrial Eggers (for the) Eggsploitation of Earthlings Everywhere.[p]John :~)

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Hickory~Nut,[p]The best way to look at it is how the late Mr Bill Miller the original webmaster said it one time. We our guests in his house and there are some simple rules to abide by set forth by "The Miller House". Now you wouldn't go over to someone else's house and tell them how to run their house would you? I have a feeling you wouldn't, even though your previous posting history may lead someone to believe otherwise. The rules that our hosts have laid out for us are there because they want it this way in their "House"! This is the bottom line and very simple to follow. I'm sure you have a wealth of information that you can share just like we all do. Let's not loose the common place we have to share.[p]Like the late Mr Bill said, Posting at the Egg Forum is a privilege, not a right. I really think that summed it up very well then as well as now.[p][p]Ashley