Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Alcohol

edited 5:21AM in EggHead Forum
I seem to recall on here people saying to use 91% alcohol to remove the gasket and glue. I checked the rubbing alcohol in the cabinet and it is 70%. Where do you get 91%? Thanks.
·

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    BGE says acetone or rubbing alohol is fine (acetone is preferred).

the higher octane stuff was recommended by those that light their eggs with it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    :) 91% alcohol is my Margarita ratio when bartending. I think acetone is preferred.

Mike
    ·
  • I want to take off a gasket, not get hammered. :lol:
    ·
  • Thanks, I had the two mixed up. I know BGE says acetone is prefered, but I believe I saw on here that alcohol actually works better.
    ·
  • tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    I use the wipes only to make a clean finish for the gasket. Otherwise I use a belt sander to get it down to the white ceramic.
    ·
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,694
    You're my kind of guy.

Spring "100% Me" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    You can get 91° alcohol or acetone (nail polish remover) at walmart or most pharmacy's.

Either is pretty inexpensive at walmart in the cosmetic isles.

I like using alcohol over acetone as it seems to clean of the adhesive easier. Both are inexpensive so get a bottle of each and try them both.

Use a paint scraper or putty knife to get the old gasket off then work the acetone/alcohol in short sections - 8 to 10 inches. Soak, let sit, resoak & sit then wipe off with a durable paper towel (blue auto paper towel's work great).

It shouldn't take longer than 20 to 30 minutes to remove and clean the gaskets off a large.

FYI: before putting power tools, flap sanders, grinding wheels take a minute and call BGE Service and verify. I was told using those type tools will void the warranty.

GG
    ·
  • AshmanAshman Posts: 375
    You know, it is bad enough that so many people tease em with all the pictures of the food. (Need smellavision) And now people post threads like "Alcohol". What am I to think? You people drive em to drink!!!

Thank you. :)

Gordon
    ·
  • i would try the 70% alcohol before i spent time and gas money going to the pharmacy to find 91%. (the difference between 91% "rubbing alcohol" and "white lightning is that rubbing alcohol has some methanol mixed in to make it undrinkable thereby not requiring the payment of alcohol taxes.)
    ·
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Just keep in mind that acetone has a flash point of 29ºF! :blink:

It doesn't care if you are removing fingernail polish or working on a gasket, the stuff is flammable to the extreme.

Gator
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Good thought. I used 91° as that is what I had out by the eggs for lighting.

GG
    ·
  • NooBBQNooBBQ Posts: 134
    This is easy, two methods, standard and metric.

Standard first.

Water is healthy to drink, just drink away the water portion until you have 91% alcohol left.

The metric method.

Buy one liter (1000 ml) of 70%

You want to get to 91%, so 70/91*1000 ml = 769 ml

So all you need to do is discard 231 ml from the 1L bottle.

If you cannot find a 1L bottle go back to the standard method.

nooBBQ,
    ·
  • ShortRIbShortRIb Posts: 88
    acetone
    ·
  • SalguodSalguod Posts: 130
    I got my 91% Isopropyl alcohol at Safeway. Better than acetone for removing gaskets, IMHO.
    ·