Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thinking of buying an egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been lurking around here for the last few months. i'm thinking of buying an egg, probably a large with all the accessories. The accessories would include plate setter, pizza stone, the adjustable rig with spider, table, and a few others. I expect my final bill will be close to $1200.00. Would that be about right?

$1200.00 or more will be a big investment for me as you can understand.

I have a few concerns. After seeing so many pictures posted from the ocala eggfest, I decided to search pictures of previous eggfests. One common theme in them all was the shock of seeeing so many obese people. Is obesity a prerequisite of egg ownership or do egg owners turn into overweight people?

I am very much a fitness orented person, so i am confused. Is it the food that is cooked up, the food that we choose to eat on the egg, or is bbq'n in general just unhealthy eats?

This is serious question and not meant to offend anyone.

Comments

• Get your popcorn ready, this is gonna be good.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    My fat ass is not a product of the egg. It is a product of me not exercising and continuously hitting the refrigerator.

Hit the Weight Watcher's section of this forum for more info on eggs and maintaining weight.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    The only thing I've noticed is that the nicest and most supportive people I have met in my life have been at eggfests. Thats what matters to me.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    I think I read somewhere that there is an additional surcharge when purchasing a BGE if your BMI is less than 30! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Have you not read or heard about the obesity problem in this country??? I do not know of any data which corrulates BGE with fat people....you can cook as healthy on the BGE as any cooking apparatus...while I am still overweight I have lost 30 pounds in 2 years while owning a (no 3) BGE's...like Pete said it isn't the BGE that caused me to be overweight.... :evil: :evil:

I eat out less and have eaten more fish than ever because of the BGE and this forum....IMHO you are a fathead for asking a question such as this and offending the people at the Ocala Eggfest and forum members...intentional or not....

with that said buy a BGE and you will not regret it.... :cheer:
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    If anything, I eat healthier since I've had the Egg. I eat out much less, take the time to find good ingredients, and I barely eat processed foods since dinner, and leftovers for lunch, typically consist of meat and veggies. The only thing you need to look out for is pizza and bread since they turn out incredible.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    and you can hide behind a lampost...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    There are 2 things that I've noticed after getting the Egg.

1) I can make really good BBQ, really pretty cheap.

2)That means I can eat a lot of really good BBQ.

I don't believe I've ever come across a recipe for BBQ-lite. So while I did gain a few pounds, I've started to pay a lot more attention to portion control. Its not always easy. Oh, and I have to learn that slabs of fresh pork belly are not an automatic purchase.

But if you like to cook, and you like to eat really good food, the Egg is a great investment. You are very likely to stop going to most restaurants. If you live in a cold climate, you will have the opportunity to get wonderful wood fire cooked food in the dead of winter. And in a warm climate, you can pretty much avoid heating up your house, because the Egg will do most of what you would use the kitchen range for.

You make take up more traveling, 'cause you've heard of a place that sells a brand of lump you've not used before. ;)
  • I'll give you the benefit of the doubt about your seriousness until proven otherwise.

There is no difference between seeing people at an eggfest and just taking a look out my window at work. America as a whole is overweight, of which people with eggs are a small minority. No correlation in my eyes unless people are actually eating them.

I eat better with my egg than going through a drive through and loading up on biggie fries and soft drinks. With a lifestyle change I've lost a bunch of weight this year and I still enjoy my egg cooking.

If you are serious about good food, go ahead and get it. If you are truly a fitness oriented person and not just paying it lip service, how would owning an egg change that? Keep it up and remember, all things in moderation.
  • And you have that pet tapeworm that keeps you thin!!! :woohoo:
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Oh No :( the secret is out, who told him. Yes I had to fill out an application that proved I was obese before I could purchase my First Egg.
    Then had to sign a waver holding no one responsible for my obesity.
    The wife started out as a Mini and now were proud to say she is a Medium and hoping to make large before our next EggFest.
    Now you say you are, "very much a fitness oriented person, so I am confused. Is it the food that is cooked up, the food that we choose to eat on the egg, or is bbq'n in general just unhealthy eats?"
    I would think that a fitness oriented person would know that it is not the source of heat that cooks food but the type and AMOUNT of food that is put in your mouth that has a lot to do with body weight.
    Hope I have helped you understand how food affects body weight.
    Jupiter Jim soon to be X-large :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    His names Ernie ;) :laugh:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i remember years ago there was a couple entering body building competitons and the woman was doing well while eating off the egg. obviuosly their menu was different than mine.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL join the club. and this is going to be a longggg post of answers :evil: LOL as with anything it is what you CHOOSE to eat or do that affects you the most. there is a healthy cooking forum here also with tips for eating "right" but as most know I do not fall into the category .....................
    heck I bet I could hide a mini in my folds :lol:;)B):whistle: Julie
  • Jupiter Jim
    Julie,
    that is too funny.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Mainegg
    yeah??? well, you will think so if I come to dinner and yours is missing when I leave :silly: :lol::whistle: LOL
  • fishlessman
    i get 3 pizzas from a standard bread dough ball, so i eat three pizzas :laugh: that could be the problem
    fukahwee maine

• Jupiter Jim
    Nice try! we are not scared at all and you are welcom to come over to Jupiter any time for dinner. We would love to have the two of you for dinner.
    Note to self get chain and lock for Piglet.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    No it is the Egg that did it to you don't you know.... :ohmy:
  • fishlessman
    just as long as it wasnt the beer, lots of 12 ounce fitness curls while egging
    fukahwee maine

• I was fat when I got my egg and am happy to say, I am still fat. I do eat alot better and feel alot better. We no longer go out to eat or hit the drive thru for some super size. It is about what you cook on the egg. The veggies cooked at about 450 are amazing. Good luck with your decision. I have only been here a short time, but this thing seems to be a life style not a fad.
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    So, you're confused. I can see why.......dumb ASS !! If you are so "fitness oriented" then you should know why people get fat. By your assumption, means that every fat person in the US either BBQ's or has a BGE. Can you see how you didn't think your question through?? And then to say you don't mean to offend anybody???? Get real, dude!

Okeejohn
  • Jupiter Jim
    Okeejohn,
    I'm still laughing :lol: :laugh:
    Ya just might have offended him. :laugh:
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Wow! You even have a name for him now Pat. LOL!!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    First of all I don't know where you live but you could save some money by going to an eggfest and getting a demo. Your comment about obsese people at eggfests is hysterical. I'm not sure which fest pictures you were looking at. :) All joking aside I personally have lost weight since I got my egg last June. You can cook healthier, you get great flavor without adding any additional fat or sauces when you cook. Chicken and fish are both faboulous egged.
    I hope you end up getting an egg. You'll never regret it. And the people you meet here on the forum and at eggfests are the BEST!!!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Wolf, you need to get your own frikkin television channel. everything you say is GOLD, baby. GOLD!

here is the wolf with some interesting thoughts on the matter:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch?e=20090407163512132
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mainegg
    OK there is the Job!!! I can see it now "the Stike and Wolf show" :laugh:
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I was overweight before I bought my egg. Hell I gained 20lbs just from quitting smoking.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    This is another reason why letting visitor post is a bad idea. Everyone should have to register then you can :evil: harass the idiots via their email address.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!