Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Grinding

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently received a meat grinding attachment for my KitchenAid stand mixer. To start with I'd like to grind some brisket or whatever for burgers, meatballs, etc. Also got a sausage maker but I'll hold off with that for now. Any tips from those who are well versed with using this device would be most appreciated. As usual, TIA!!~~

Comments

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Cut the meat into 1" cubes and return to refrigerator or freezer until it is really cold but not frozen. If the meat is not really cold it tends to ooze out beside the plunger. I usually grind it twice, the second time grinds much faster.
  • Rascal
    Options
    That will get me off to a great start! Would twice through the coarse grinding plate be a good plan? Thank you!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i like it once through the coarse, but try twice to knoe the difference. these plates arent large like at the butcher where two passes really benefits. i have no idea what the smaller plates for as ive never used it, maybe hotdog mush :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I run my meat (I have done pork butt,brisket & beef tenderloin so far) through with the coarse grind and I run it twice. Just cube it refregerate it and run it through...it is kind of fun actually...
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I'm a once through guy with the large plate, and remember cold is your friend. -RP
  • Rascal
    Options
    Being totally "green" with this, could you give me a little idea of how you use the various meats that you grind? Does ground tenderloin really make a 'Holy Moly' burger? 8 - )... Thanks!!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    When I get beef tenderloins there tend to be scraps leftover which are not big enough for steaks. So I freeze them and use them in shish kabobs etc.

The other night when I was grinding the brisket I decide to add the tenderloin scraps to it. It did grind very easy and everyone commented on how good the burgers were...give it a try... :lol:
  • Rascal
    Options
    Will do... Thank you!!
  • ShortRIb
    ShortRIb Posts: 88
    Options
    I grinded and stuffed 20#'s of pork sausage with one of those. I recommend getting the meat as cold as possible. After doing this once, I invested in a #10 hand grinder. Much better and faster. The meat attachment is at least $50. You can get a hand grinder for half that.