Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Temp Burn Issue - Sealed Gaskets

Options
AzScott
AzScott Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ugh. :( Last night I loaded the Egg up with some charcoal, put on the plate setter (legs up), and let her rip. The last high temp I was was around 650 when I decided to lift the lid to see how she was coming. With all my might she wouldn't open so I shut the Egg down and this morning it still wouldn't open.

How do I get this thing open? I am thinking of taking a butter knife and finding an area to slide it in between the Nomex gasket and try to work it all the way around. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    razor knife and putty knife were what u used. do not pry in the handle area dead center, there is a week spot there from the casting hole and it will chip a big chunk out if you pry there.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Son of a Bucket!

When you recover and figure out potential causes, let us know. This is something I will avoid at all cost.
  • andy_b
    andy_b Posts: 77
    Options
    as a side question, what were you going to cook at 650 indirect?
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what adhesive did you use when you installed the Nomex gasket?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Hopefully will put up some pictures. Interesting if this is a Nomex. It will be interesting to know if the gasket failed or if the adhesive failed - or both.

If Nomex, was it the earlier version that had the adhesive already affixed to it?

What adhesive did you use and how was it applied?

With felt gaskets usually a starter cube or two down the upper vent and one or two below the fire grate will heat the egg up enough that the adhesive will release.

If you are determined to cut then pick up a "Snap Blade Refill" for a utility knife.

I use a small pair of vice grip pliers or the knife itself to control the blade.

GG
  • AzScott
    Options
    I'll let everyone know how it turns out but thanks for recommending that I don't pry at the front.

The gasket I had on there was Nomex and the adhesive was 3M Super 77. It had been on the Egg for approximately a month and a half and had been through about 30 - 35 cooks. I have done this before, but wouldn't you know it, it was with the old felt gasket I had on there. If I waste the gasket on this one, I'll be going back to the felt since the adhesive issue is resolved on those.

The reason I was taking the Egg up to 650 was to burn off a bunch of grease that had built up on the Egg after cooking poppers, drumsticks, ribs, etc on it for the prior two Saturdays for about 8 hours at a time. I hope she's pretty inside!
  • When mine got stuck, I put a fire lite in the bottom under the firegrate and took the daisy off and when it heated up, i could open it fine.
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hey AzScott

My 2cents is, if burning off grease, I would believe
    a direct heat would be sufficient. To get the egg
    up to 650 Indirect, wow. As far as Gasket I would use
    nomex, test, just put a match to nomex and felt for say
    10 seconds. You will see how nomex holds up better.
    Question? The only time ever stuck was when I spilled
    bbq sauce on gasket. Now I take meat off grill to
    put on bbq sauce. next time you put on Nomex make sure
    surface is clean, a non tacky smooth feeling means clean. Do more rubbing than scraping, remember ceramic
    may chip when scraped hard enough, hard to chip out when rubbing, yes more work but less chance of failure.
    Good luck BullyC
  • AzScott
    Options
    Well, I had grilled chicken breasts and artichokes on the formerly sealed tight BGE! :cheer:

I initially inserted a 10" icing knife and tried to insert it in several areas. No luck going through. So, being a guy, I grabbed my Bear Saw and started sawing. Once I thought I was through the majority of the gasket I tried pushing it through again. BINGO. I wiggled it back and forth like a lever and the lid was loosened enough to pull it open when I had loosened half of the dome. The gasket is darn near black but it did not pull away from the ceramic. It's hard though but I am not going to replace the gasket since it did hold up unlike what would happen to the felt gasket.

By the way, the Egg is incredibly clean.