Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Blade Boston Roast...

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
is what the package says. I can see the end of a bone, and it appears to be....yes...it is...a BUTT!! Still mending a sick family, and have not been egging much, but there is gonna be some mustard slathering going on later today! It is about 4.5 pounds or so. Haven't done a butt for a while, and with djm5x9's sauces, I should be good to go. Put that little guy in the magic green thing tonight, and tomorrow some serious sandmiches!![p]Hope everyone's week is finishing up nicely.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]The week is finishing up nicely but just not quickly enough. That Butt sounds great, hope all goes well with it.[p]I have plans for a 3 bone (maybe 4 bone, dont remember as I froze this one a couple months ago) prime rib this evening. I cooked the last one direct at about 350 until it was 140 internal. Pink, juicy, you know the story, wonderful. Debating on the rub, if any. May just use some salt, pepper and let 'er rip.[p]Have a great weekend and enjoy them sammiches. Hope the family is on the mend, been sick for a few days now it seems. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to your youngens.[p]Troy
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Nature Boy,[p]Why don't they just *call* the thing a pork butt & same some ink? ;-}[p]I'm planning a pulled-pork feast for Tuesday night. May try this one with nothing on it but Montreal Steak Seasoning.[p]A few sandwiches should fix the girls right up. Better than chicken soup![p]Enjoy the weekend -[p]Cathy

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Cat,
    Sounds like a REAL party to me :~)

• Nature Boy
    Cat,
    Who knows why they didn't call it pork butt! At least they didn't call it Country Ribs I suppose.[p]Simple seasonings should be good. That is what is so great about doing butts! Almost anything works. Yeah, I hope dem sammiches fix the girls up. Kara is back at school, but Jenna is still not right. A full 7 day virus.[p]Hope all is well in the city.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cat
    Bob,[p]I've never done a butt with salt & pepper only...figured this was an interim step on the way. [p]Lately I've been having a hard time keeping the dome temp below 275 when cooking capless. No matter how small I start the fire the temp wants to creep up, even when the lower vent is shut as tight as it will go. That ever happen to you?[p]Hope things aren't too crazy for you -[p]Cathy
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Cat,[p]The temp appears to rise during windy times only. When I'm going for the long cook and I know the wind is going to gust I usually go ahead and put the daisy on to keep the spikes at bay.[p]You will enjoy the rubless butt. I have got to where I do most of my cooking without much spice anymore. Seems like the real meat flavor comes thru better.

• Cat
    Bob,[p]Not to mention the HICKORY!! [p]Thanks for the temp control advice. I'm going to start this butt the night before so I'll use the top. [p]Cathy
  • Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    Thanks. Can't imagine having 5 kids! Jenna and Kara were each sick for 6 or 7 days. Longest sickness they have had in their 5 years that doesn't involve secondary infections like ear infections or bronchitis or pneumonia! Well, summer is on the way, so this should be it for a while hopefully. I'm starting to feel a bit funky now, but nothing a good chicken, pork butt and a couple beers can't fix up.[p]Enjoy that prime rib. Elders simple rub is very good (I think it is thyme, pepper, kosher salt), and I have been wanting to try his high temp direct method, but always end up falling back on the safer indirect woosy way.[p]Have fun. Thanks for the good wishes
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Nature Boy writes " I'm starting to feel a bit funky now, but nothing a good chicken, pork butt and a couple beers can't fix up."[p]I hereby nominate Nature Boy for Surgein General! :-)[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    BluesnBBQ,
    I'll second that! And maybe President too!

• Nature Boy
    BluesnBBQ,
    Not exactly a text book remedy, but now that the chicken is in-gut, I can say it has some value. The beers are sittin' real nice too! [p]Surgeon General NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Dr. Chicken,
    Heeee! That would be a kick!
    Whole briskets WITH FAT CAPS in every market in U.S. would be first on my agenda. Pro-choice, and chunk-o-chests for all Americans. Education for all young Americans is also tops on my agenda....but let's make sure our young leaders have vacuum packed briskets in their lunchboxes. [p]And, fellow Americans, we cannot forget the icon of our country's heritage. Boston Butts for everyone!![p]Thank you.
    Thank you.
    And God Bless.
    Nature Boy

DizzyPigBBQ.com