Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thawing Acccident, Please Help

Options
Magnolia
Magnolia Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I made a big mistake. I friend of mine gave me a sirloin that had been frozen a few months and needed to be cooked.

I took it home and left it on the counter for an hour or so before I was going to thaw it overnight in the fridge.

I forgot to put it in the fridge and left it out overnight on the counter (11:00pm) and just found it when I came home for lunch (noon). It is about 1 3/4 inches thick and felt slightly cool, about 60 degrees, when I found it.

Do you think it is safe to eat?

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Sorry :(
    No it is not safe more than 4 hours between 40 degrees and 140 and it is bad. :sick:
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Time to lose it!
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    I'm afraid to say anything... I (me, myself, and am not recommending this...) would probably eat it... 60°F is not so far into the danger zone most of the mass probably was there only a few hours (again this is ME, not recommending)

stike? any input? :whistle:

cheers!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    As much as you're going to hate to hear this, you need to get rid of that meat. That's just dangerous, it may have very well developed some food poisioning organisms. It's not worth it.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Trust me when I tell you. You have purchased worse in a grocery store. Spent to many years in that business. Even if it is good (I think your fine). Mentally, you will look for any sign to throw it out. You will think you smell something funny when cooking, then think maybe tasted something funny. Why go to the trouble when your going to throw it out anyway. ;)
    Don't get me started on the turkey and chicken industry. :woohoo:

Mike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    personally i dont think i would have a problem eating that steak, ive done much worse. however you just broke all the safety rules and should toss it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    meat temp is a trick answer, the temp of the kitchen is the danger zone. ive cooked plenty of pork butt where the meat temp didnt hit 140 degrees in 8 or so hours, fortunatly that doesnt count as danger zones go, only the temp the meat is stored in counts
    fukahwee maine

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    pato, asking stike for input????? he eats stuff that looks a science fair project and has been in the back of the fridge for so long he has no idea what it origanally was :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    bill
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    good answer.

as a kid, the concept of thawing something in the fridge was a pretty foreign idea. i don't know how virulent the strains of bacteria were back then, or how likely the meat was to be contaminated.

mom would take out a roast in the morning, cook it at night. what's the big deal?

like many yankees i know, the christmas turkey never fit in the frdige, so it would go in the garage, with the gravy. hahaha or in the attached woodshed

the food-safety guidelines have clearly been broken in this case. and like fishless said, inner temp of the steak on a counter is irrelevant. the exterior is where the bacteria are, and they have had a nice chunk of time to multiply while waiting for its owner to come home for lunch.

if it were me, and the wife and kids were off at some wiggles concert or something, i'd be having steak tonight. but i wouldn't serve it to anyone else, just in case.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    things are always scary if you are operating on incomplete information.

i have a raw duck breast hanging unrefrigerated in my basement. should be ready to eat saturday or so.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    did you find the bacto ferm whatever it is or just use tenderquick in the end
    fukahwee maine

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    If you put that on top of the H2O heater or furnance, someone may call the gas company about a leak. At least I heard that from someone, if you know what I mean. :woohoo:

Mike
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    salted?? or cured in any way ?
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    As said before....I would eat it but not serve it to anyone else...

I used to work for a food distributor....most of you would never eat again....especially chicken and other poultry..
  • stike
    Options
    hahahaha

yeee hahaha

effing cats have been jumping at it from seven feet below. trying like hell to reach it. i expect the little one to get up on the bigger cat's shoulders.
  • stike
    Options
    the bactoferm is for some of the cured sausages i wanna do. i didn't do any sausage except kielbasa for this easter. i had to start brining the fresh ham, so i scored some pink salt from Karl's on Rte. 1. that place is great. german sausage maker. you been there?

anyway. since i wasn't in a rush for the bactoferm, i am just going to order it along with more pink salt and nitrate.

curing a ham, made kielbasa, and have the duck breast going. should be good....
  • stike
    Options
    one job i had as a kid was to go through the "fresh" eggs and take the expired ones out of the old containers and put them in new (newly dated) containers. even at 15 i knew that wasn't kosher....

don't want to tell you what i saw in the meat department.

i am frankly of the mind that to wash everything with antibacterial soap is a worse thing for you in the long run.
  • stike
    Options
    that's a good idea. i will try that next time
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    good you made me laugh and i needed that thanks
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    It gets worse. That chicken ended up in another friends truck of mine under the seat. He shows up at my house and wants to go fishing. I swear he had 50 of those little trees hanging from his rear view mirror. I was laughing so hard. I made him promise, no recourse to me, since I didn't do anything. :evil: Then told him the who, what and when.

Mike
  • stike
    Options
    please tell what this "curing" is you speak of? i just hung the thing in an old tube sock.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I grew up on a kill floor for S-E-I-T-Z, spells bologna.
    God, my comercials bombed.

Mike
  • stike
    Options
    hahahaha

holy crap.

when i was 10, 11 maybe i caught a sunfish and put it in my dad's tackle box (which he never used and which i'd taken over) and brought it home. either to clean and cook or for the cat.

the basement stunk to sh!t for a couple weeks until i went fishing again and realized i'd forgotten it. hahaha

i think i would have figured it out, but mom said "the cat musta brought home a mouse", and it sounded plausible enough that i never connected it to the fish.

see, this is how i know when something's bad. i have been exposed to some funky foodstuffs as a kid. i really want to make you one of those 75 day "forgotten in the fridge" steaks of mine.

bachelor night, i'll bring the steak, you bring the beer and predial "9-1-..." on the phone.
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 4
    Options
    Yeah, that gets back to the heart of my problem. My buddy has been considering getting an egg and keeps asking me about mine.

He had this butchered from a cow a mutual friend of ours owned. I took this sirloin, a roast, and a rack of beef ribs from his house last night with the intention that I would cook them for him, his girlfriend and some other friends and let him check out the egg.

I was planning on cooking the sirloin for the game tonight for he and I and the old ladies.

That puts me in a particularly odd situation, right? I am considering whether I have time to thaw the beef ribs in hot water and smoke them before game time (4 hours from now). Should I tell him I changed my mind and went for the ribs? I could buy another sirloin and freeze it and call it that one later?

I'm working from home this afternoon and this whole situation is killing my productivity.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    How good of a friend is your friend?

Not knowing how it was handled before it was frozen, or how it is packaged I can't comment on whether or not I would eat it.

However, since it wasn't mine I'd be on the way to the store and my dog would be happy..
  • stike
    Options
    you can't do beef ribs in four hours i don't think...

can you cook the roast and replace the sirloin later/

that sucks. i lost some venison that someone gave me because some JACKASS left the (basement) fridge open one easter. they went down to score more champagne, and in shutting the lower door, the freezer up top opened and thawed out the next day.

thaw the roast under cold runningwater. it will thaw as fast as with hot water, but it'll be safer (if the water is 40 or less)
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    now i am really laughing and so is the staff
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I'm really sorry. What is wrong with you? You don't thaw meat out in hot water. COLD ONLY!
    Again, sorry. You need to consider pizzas. Make sure it has ground beef and you went to the trouble of browning it for the pizzas. :blush:

Mike
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Amen Pete! What is wrong with these people???
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    The pooch has been screwed. Own up to it, tell them you messed up and the sirloin is history. Don't try the old "yeah, this is your steak" with a substitute later. In the meantime, run to the store and grab something else to egg. Dazzle them tonight anyway!! Wings? Pizzas? ABTs? Pork loins?