Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin Ideas

Dirty1
Dirty1 Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been wanting to egg a pork tenderloin for some time. However I haven't because i am not sure of the best approach. Any recipes, tips (direct/indirect), seasonings would be appreciated.

Comments

• Keving
    Keving Posts: 36
    Season it like you do ribs, and cook at 250 or so indirect. whatever you cook a but at. I usually guess about when it's done temp wise. I would say 160 or so.
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Here's something I did for a German BBQ forum:

http://mybbq.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14266&highlight=

I marinaded the pork loin overnight in 5 cups of burgandy wine, 7 sliced onions, and 3 cloves of chopped garlic.

Next day: Out of the marinade, then rubbed with dijon mustard, fresh cracked pepper and salt.

Cooked in the EGG (indirect) at 375F until the internal temp reached 155F. After the first hour I placed chopped veggies in the pan. (optional)

(The first group of photos were for a gravy that I made. You can use your own favorite)
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Lots of great ways to do pork tenderloin. Stuffed, marinated, maybe just a little salt and pepper. If you do a forum search, you will find hundreds of them. I like to slice it open and pound to about 1/2 inch thick and stuff with whatever I have on hand: roasted peppers, spinach, green onions, etc. One of my favorites is kraut, brown sugar, and bacon. Emeril has a nice one that you cook like wellington, with a mushroom duxelle and puff pastry. I usually pull it at 135 and let it rest. Comes out with just a touch of pink. Since it is a very lean cut, higher temps are usually used, since there are no tendons to break down with the low and slow cooking. Just be careful about the final temp. Much over 150, and it can dry out pretty quick.

Slick
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    I have done stuffed Pork Tenderloin, which is excellent, but for your first time, I'd do it one of two ways:

1. Pick your favorite rub and set it at 350* until 160ish internal.

2. Marinate it in your favorite marinade, then put a fresh (not what you used with the pork) marinade on top at the 135* mark, and let it go to 160ish internal.

Both are awesome. Good luck!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Dirty - You are talking about pork TENDERloin, not LOIN? Is this correct? A pork tenderloin is the equivlent of the filet mignon in beef. Regardless, loin or tenderloin, I recommend highly, that you sear this meat and allow to roast to an internal temp of 135 degrees, then allow to rest 15 minutes. Carryover cooking will bring it to approximately 140-142, and it will reamin moist and tender. These cuts of pork are not intended for low and slow roasts. They are too lean, and will become like sawdust above 150 degrees.
    Do a simple rub on a tenderloin, then sear and roast to 135 degrees, 15 minute rest, and you will love it.
    Let us know how you fare!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Here's a bit of an off the wall one I made up the other night, Pork Tenderloin with Asiago Cheese Grits (click for recipe)

101_0452resized.jpg

But my favorite is Southwestern Pork Tenderloin with Cumin Mayonnaise

DSC_0047croppedresized.jpg
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Dirty1
    Dirty1 Posts: 42
    Thank you all, great info. And yes Michelle, I was referring to Tenderloin. The leaness of it was throwing me off on best ways to cook.
    Regards,
    dirty