Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20 Racks of Ribs

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
20racks.jpg
<p />For anyone who says it can't be done, here is a photo from "wil" who posted down below about his 20 racks of ribs on the egg. Dang! wil said that he "swayed" them left to right every hour to allow the heat to distribute. Dang![p]TNW
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, apparently he didn't know that it couldn't be done.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]That's amazing! How'd they turn out?
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]hmmmmm...why am I getting a little red X instead of a photo, when clearly its working fine for others?

• gotta-mado
    gotta-mado Posts: 15
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    My mouth is watering, I keep trying to pull a rib out of my moniter...
    Guess you know what I will be doing Sunday. Any tips?

• Unknown
    Options
    Smokey,
    They came out (AWESOME)
    I really like Q'ing and for someone to say its not possible, maybe the jokes in their cooker. But they were really tender and quite flavorful, the pic is about 4 hours into cooking, and I'd suppose I know what I'm doing,
    I am a Certified Executive Chef for 10 years now.
    CEC certification comes from American Culinary Federation. Its a club that covers all of the U.S. for us chefs that want to become certified in our field.
    BTW.........your a great buncha guys and gals here....HONEST !!!..........and many thanks to Naked Whiz.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Wow, that's almost a "put out the fire" level of ribs! Which leads me to a thought for an invention for some industrious young chap out there - the "20 racks of ribs" cap to snuff out your Egg when done cooking![p]Burgers with Cow Lick and Port Wine Cheese (???) are on the docket for me when I get home.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    wil, I read enough to find out that you did them low'n'slo for 6 hours. What other details can you share? How did you prepare them? What temperature did you use for your low'n'slo? Any rubs, sauces or other secret ingredients used? Inquring minds want to know. They sure do look good.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Holey Cow! I can honestly say that I've never seen a photo like that before....... it took a few seconds to realize what I was looking at. Amazing.[p]'Dang' is right, wil.!....... Though it looks like you could probably shoe-horn another rack or two on the right side. :~)[p]John [p]
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    RG,[p]Are you using an old web browser? I had the same problem when I was using netscape 4.7--people were raving about pictures I couldn't see. But internet explorer 5 and netscape 7.0 (which I updated to) has been working like a charm.
    If that's not it though, I haven't a clue.
    --Aron

• Unknown
    Options
    Wise One,
    rubbed ribs with cheap yellow mustard and let 'em sit for 2 days, fired up grill to 4oo degrees,sprinkled a little rub I made (in picture) and set them in their nest, as the meat cooled off the grill a little, i adjusted the heat to about 275 degrees, kept it there for 6 hours and 15 minutes.Every hour as I swayed them from left to right, I lightly sprinkled more rub (lightly cause it has brown sugar in it)each time. When finished I brushed a Thai basting sauce on them and let them rest for about 1/2 hour before serving them.The thai sauce had some cilantro and jalapeno's blended in. Just added a sprinkle of seasame seeds for added texture and Voila !!!

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Wow...so I guess with a grill extender it is possible to get 40 racks on there, which almost answers my question from a while ago.
    [/b]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    wil,
    FANTASTIC is all I can say. Wish I would have been there to see the cook and fest.[p]CWM

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    wil,
    SHOW OFF!!! LOL!!![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Wow! I'm speechless... That's a lot of ribs...[p]Ryan
  • Unknown
    Options
    wil,[p]What rub in the picture? I can't read the can...is that what you mean/[p]Kurt

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    wil,
    Just curious, what's your day job over in Lafayette? Maybe I should've eaten at your place this week!

• Unknown
    Options
    Kurt,
    yes Kirk, the rub is my personal concoction
    G'rilla Shaker

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I'm beginning to think that maybe I should have doctored up the photo and made it look like I cooked them! I'm inspired now to try cooking more ribs at one time. I'd like to have a ribfest for some friends.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Aron,[p]Must be...that was at work, and it works fine at home. I dont know what we're on at the office, but I'm sure it isn't the most updated version.

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, Hey!!! I demand a recount. I "only" counted eighteen racks!!! [p]Great pic, Wil!! How many do you think will fit on a medium?

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    wil,
    And I can vouch it is very very tasty.....I've enjoyed it on all types of foods!!

• mxdadx2
    Options
    impressive--I immediately called the wifey and asked her to take the ribs out of the freezer. thats my weekend inspiration.
  • Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    Thats the pic I was looking for. Thanks.
  • saccook
    Options
    To the guy who smoked these ribs: did you use the deflector and a grate? I am trying 15  racks of baby backs this week, have a large green egg. I don't want to lose any!
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @saccook Whatever happens post some pics!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• saccook
    Options
    Ok, folks....Steve down here in AZ. I am loading up my large egg Wednesday of this week(18 Dec) with 15 racks of baby backs that I am smoking for a Veterans group called POINTMAN. The group is veterans from Vietnam and from the Afghanistan and Iraq wars as well. I use chunks of Mesqute I get here in a 40LB bag, plus I have freshly cut Chilean mesquite i add for a more sweeter smoke.  I will take many pics and post, expect this to start early thurs morning the 19th of dec, 2019.

• saccook
    Options
    and just how do I post pics?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2019
    Options
    saccook said:
    To the guy who smoked these ribs: did you use the deflector and a grate? I am trying 15  racks of baby backs this week, have a large green egg. I don't want to lose any!
    You do realize this post is from 2003 right? I'm sure in the last 16 years he has come and gone from this place. In fact, i bet this was an archived post from the greeneggers forum of yesteryear!!

but, yes, you will definitely want a deflector and a grate and to start a new thread to get comments and suggestions and so we can see PICTURES!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited December 2019
    Options
    but, yes, you will definitely want a deflector and a grate and to start a new thread to get comments and suggestions and so we can see PICTURES!!
    I would have thought he used a platesetter too, but apparently not... see Spring Chicken's post in this thread...

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/819570/20-racks-at-one-time

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I would have thought he used a platesetter too, but apparently not... see Spring Chicken's post in this thread...

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/819570/20-racks-at-one-time
    Wow, very cool!! I definitely didn't expect that!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum