Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Worst Cook !

2»

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Hmmmm. I wonder why? Sounds like a grid change was in order.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    ROFL!!! I can SO relate to your story!!! My Mom came to visit, and we took her to our favorite restaurant for the escargot.....same thing happened to her! She could NOT get over the fact that is was a 'snail' in her mouth!! LOL! She BARELY got it down! But, once she did, she wanted another! :woohoo:
    Thanks Clark!
  • OKCegger
    OKCegger Posts: 38
    When I first got my egg, I made Banana Foster. Only problem was I had added a couple chunks of hickory wood. It was so strong with smoke that no one would eat it!
  • Misippi Egger
    It seems that when we are newbies, and we just bought the "World's Best Smoker", we all thought we have to add lots of wood chips like we always did with traditional smokers. We have subsequently learned that extra wood is not necessary in many cases and, as seen in these responses, is detrimental in some cases.

We have the best grill/smoker and it is capable of may different kinds of cooks, from smoking with added wood, to direct grilling, to woking, to actually baking (without additional chips :( ).

Thanks to all who admitted to their misadventures/experiences. Hopefully someone benefitted from these stories. ;)
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    The first pizza I did on the egg, I used way too much dough, I failed to burn off the 'new lump' bad smoke, and the temp was too low, so when the pie emerged from the egg after about 30 minutes, it was covered with soot & tasted like I had held it under the tailpipe of a 1967 Impala with a rod knock

There was the salmon debacle, looked good, but tasted a lot like plastic, bad tasting plastic:

IMG_2373.jpg

I didn't want to let it go, so tried it for breakfast with cream cheese on crackers, tasted a lot like cream cheese on crackers with plastic bits:

IMG_2376.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Good story Marc.

When I said I rarely mess stuff up anymore, I meant that I really just don't freak out as much if everything isn't perfect, hence the reason I didn't bring that romaine back in and cut the other end shorter. You just go with what you have!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • I thought I was the only one... I decided that bun offs are over-rated. Thanks!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    You know, that reminds me of my second-worst cook. I did a large (3#) fatty with hickory smoke. I put way too much hickory in the lump and, well, let's just say I'd have done better serving the unburnt hickory to my family.
  • Misippi Egger
    Looks like we all had the same "too much smoke" learning curve. :woohoo:
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    There are way to many to pick one that stands out. :blink: Most of the mistakes involve alcohol and Jimmy Buffett on the garage stereo. :lol: The most embarrassing cook was when I had a long time friend over for steaks, and all I did was talk about the great meals that had come off the egg. Welllllll, the $50.00 worth of Prime Strip Steaks were so over done, that my jaw got a cramp trying to eat that night. And when I gave a piece to the dog, he sat there and chewed for a good 10 seconds before he thought it was OK to swallow.

Gordon

Life is hard, it's even harder when your stupid!!
  • Misippi Egger
    Doesn't it always seem to happen when adult beverages loosen our Egg-braggin' tongue???? :):) :P

I try not to make any exaggerated promises when cooking for others!