Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MOJO Spatchcock Chickin

Options
Jupiter Jim
Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I soaked the bird for 27 hours in MOJO and then put it in the large indirect at 450. We then went in the house and 45 minutes later when I went out to check!!! :ohmy: 550 and the skin was very black. closed up the vents and told KayNOcook I burnt the bird. Her reply was how in the #@*& can you burn it too much for me?
Well it was not burnt to much and we ate most of it for dinner with a salad and a sweet potato. The MOJO was good but nothing great. :unsure:
Now as far as the long soak in MOJO, high dollar city folk would call it marinating! :P I won't do that again as we feel it is just not worth the extra effort.
I would just rather take the bird, put some raging River dizzy dust and then when done some Blues Hog BBQ.
I would have taken some pictures but just too lazy to take the pictures and you have all seen a chicken before.
So I have learned that simple is many times the better chioce.
Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

Comments

• MilitantSquatter
    Options
    I used to use Mojo quite a bit too but got tired of it..
    I always added rub on top too though..

27 hrs seems like a long time with all the acidity the mojo has.

I agree simple is better.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    JJ, I soaked 3 chicks in mojo for 4 days. I just got done pulling them off the bones. I really believe that mojo is soo much more flaverfull when soaked longer. I think if you guys try it you will agree. I was outside taking them off and the neighbor says what the hell are you cooking that smells so good. Out of my mouth comes you want some. I also had pineapple and butternut squash on the med. Both doused with pine head.
    Good cooking day, and sharing :) :laugh:
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Vinny,
    Thanks for the reply, it was my first time and the last.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Wow,
    I can't do the math now but that is just a little more than 27 hours I think. :laugh:
    It was good just not worth the effort. It might have been better low and slow. :silly: What I left out was that I took a chicken out of the freezer the night before and forgot it on the counter all night. :angry: It went in the trash at 7:00 AM.
    Glad your cook was good, and thanks for your reply.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Real sorry Jim about your cook, we all been there and done I am sure something like that. If we were perfect we would not be here. Don't tell Bubba Tim but I burnt some wings in my time. ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We have a hunk of beef swimming in the MoJo right now. I want to do a pot roast/pulled beef thing with it maybe. we will see,