Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Done and Gone!!!

Options
AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Held our first neighborhood BBQ yesterday evening. I cooked my first brisket for company. Also did spatchcocked chicken and pulled pork. The brisket was a hit and it was the first thing gone. Finally met most of the neighbors and most were intrigued by the Egg.

Cooked for about 16 hours then foiled with some beef both for 2 more until temp reached 190ish then wrapped and coolered for an hour or so. Had a nice smoke ring (smoke with hickory and pecan chunks). No sliced pics about 30 hungry guests waiting.

Brisket all rubbed with Salt Lick BBQ rub and yellow mustard:

DSC01790.jpg

All Done about to be foiled:

DSC01792.jpg

Oh and wifey's cupcakes she and the daughter made. She also made a cheeseake but no pic of it. She bake everything from scratch. It is a wonder I don't weigh more than I do!

Cupcakes:

DSC01793.jpg

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Very nice looking chunk of beef. Your wife and daughter are very talented in the decorating department. Glad your neighborhood cookout went well.
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Thanks Poolman, and thanks for the info about the sealer and the phone number. Will tell the wife and daughter.

Next time I will remember to take a tape measure with me to Sams, I had to trim about 5 inches off the end. I read that tape measure tip somewhere I believe it was on thirdeyes sight.
  • Lake Conroe Egger
    Options
    Good looking brisket!
    No need to trim the end, just squoosh it up some at the start - it will shrink up a bit during the cook and will fit perfectly.
  • alanjesq
    alanjesq Posts: 23
    Options
    I posted a plea for help this morning for a source for a Rack to hold a packer's cut Brisket. Then I saw your picture showing how you cooked the Brisket without a rack. I am going to copy your method. Thanks very much. I am assuming that you are inverting the place setter. My XL is a bit more flat than a Large BGE. Yours looks to be a large. Is it the Large or are you cooking on an XL. Either way, I am going to try your method next Brisket Cook. Thanks again
    alanjesq
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    My Egg is a large. I just laid it flat on the grid. Platesetter, feet up with drip pan. I use extra feet to put between the drip pan and platesetter. Hope this helps
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Excellent work! I've been favoring the pecan/hickory combination here lately, even more than the apple/hickory. Sounds like you guys had a nice time! Hope to see you at the TX Eggfest this year--I'll be cooking this time after attending my first one last year.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Glad the brisket turned out for ya. Mine have always been ok but never the WOW factor. Yours looks great.