Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie buying decision!

flying newtster
flying newtster Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Visited Freds Music & BBQ in reading PA today.
About to pull the trigger and buy an egg and a Guru I guess all I need is a little push! OK you guys start pushing.

Comments

• Why aren't you cooking on your new Egg tonight?
  • Welcome to the cult. What r ya waitin for, get r done, so you can start eating that great egged food.
  • As an egger I have to honestly say that you may not want to get one. If you really enjoy eating at restaurants AVOID THE EGG. Whatever foods you will cook on the egg you will no longer enjoy in restaurants.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I've never enjoy cooking so much as I do now with an Egg.
  • Don't get the guru......Yet!

Learn to use your new egg WITHOUT the guru first. It can hold temperatures better than your oven WITHOUT the guru. You will appreciate the Guru even more this way. Besides, when you lose power (for whatever reason!) you will still be able to cook if you learned your egg nekkid.
  • I would agree with that, I have a GPS and use it all the time, but I am very glad I learned to navigate before getting one.
  • My thoughts too!!!!!
    But as far as an Egg goes. Get one ASAP!
  • My thoughts too!!!!!
    But as far as an Egg goes. Get one ASAP!
    d'Oh! :unsure:

I DID forget to say get the egg NOW, didn't I?

GET THE EGG NOW!
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Fair Warning: You will NEVER enjoy dinners out again once you have had meals done on the BGE. I would wait on the Guru. You neeed to understand how to conrol the temp manualy before you use a pit minder. I bought my first egg 12 years ago, and she is still going strong. I have gone through 6 SS highend gassers in the same time period. You will make great meals and meet some of the finest folks on the planet, and you need a push? Buy a BGE, should you not like it, no worries, someone is always looking to buy a used egg on this forum. (and if you don't live too far, It will be me buying your egg) GO FOR IT! Limited down side, unlimited upside.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • It's not when, but how many??

Go to an eggfest.

Meet fun cooking friends that all love the egg too.

Cook great food. Eat great food.

Be the envy of your neighbors.

Avoid "Worst cooks" (see thread below!).

Go for it and have fun.

By the way, I still don't have a GURU and I've had my Large for 13 years!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    I will tell you this, I own three eggs and will never give them up. Now not trying to be a smart butt here, if you do your home work and research, then you will not need a push. Happy Egging.
  • SteveinTN
    SteveinTN Posts: 232
    yes,
    the egg is great. I think it is fun also. i have a large viking? stainless grill that i use to store my extra egg stuff. Build or buy a nice table. It will look good and be very functionable. I am just now doing that after 2 years. Most important go to the atlanta eggfest if possible.
    - great pepole
    - great food
    - great fun

I am sure the others are great also. But the atlanta eggfest is the the only one i have attended.

I think the Large is a great size.
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Semolina Pilchard wrote:
    I would agree with that, I have a GPS and use it all the time, but I am very glad I learned to navigate before getting one.

That's funny!!!

Pull the trigger---get the egg TODAY!!!!!!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Hot & spicy & crunchy & smokey = good:

Now go buy that egg :)
    IMG_1704.jpg
    IMG_1713.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • meat and fire

february.jpg

and to answer your question about the egg and cold weahter

march012.jpg

march013.jpg
  • meat and fire

march110.jpg

fish was from last nights tread about our worst cooks
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    I say get it too, and agree to holding off on the guru. You do need to learn the basics without it, and there are plenty of other things you need as accessories that are more important. Just ask us! My first was a large, which is good for me as I have a family of four to cook for. Go for it! You'll never be the same, he, he, he.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL why do you think this forum exists??? do you know how many times this question is asked :) and do you know how many times the new egger goes and buys the egg and then post "WHY DID I WAIT???" :lol:
    I don't think anyone ever regrets it. a few have posted with some learning issues and soft regrets but everyone on here pitches in and give a hand. if there are any eggers near you they will even offer to come over and help. This forum is better than a guru. :) and free. get the plate setter and the pizza stone. and go from there. I have 7 eggs between two house and my studio. I will never go gas again. :silly: :P Does this help?
    Picture849.jpg
    pea soup
    Picture636Small.jpg
    apple pie
    Picture728Small.jpg
    flat breads
    turkeybd2-1.jpg
    sitting turkey
    chixatwork.jpg
    4 chickens
    cinnbunsSmall.jpg
    cinnamon rolls
    chickenSmall.jpg
    stuffed boneless chicken thighs
    PRIMERIB.jpg
    prime rib
    scalopsandchix.jpg
    scallops and wings
    LOL and that is only the tip of the ice berg. I never did things like this on the old gas grill :) Julie
  • OKCegger
    OKCegger Posts: 38
    Well Julie, if that doesn't get someone to buy an egg, what would??!!! :woohoo:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i personally think you should wait on the guru until you have relatively mastered (it's not hard) controlling temps the old-fashioned way.

people still have had fires go out with powered draft units. i'd learn to build a long-lasting fire, then maybe get the thing as insurance.

FWIW, i got the egg just before the powered draft units were becoming readily available, and the number one reason i went with an egg was because it would do overnight cooks without frequent tending. even the most nervous person only needs to check it once in the middle of the night for the food to be safe even if the fire goes out.

good luck, though. either way you'll be happy
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOl thanks, I remember how scary it was on the "other side" of the first purchase. The gasser is a known and steady and just new parts every year. used in the summer when you are "supposed" to grill. You need to look at it as a new appliance I guess. ours are used year round. wind rain snow sleet what ever we have to get through to get to the egg to cook. the next one was easier to buy. the 3-6 took some persuading to Neil but #7 he just jumped in the truck and asked if I had the money LOL
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Julie nice looking cooks there, that apple pie looks awesome. Nothing like good old apple pie, looks like what my Mom use to cook. Great Eats :cheer:
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    double what he said about learning to control your fire without the guru.

You learn on the bunny slope and then graduate to the black diamond.

Not the other way around. Good luck.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Neil should weigh 300 pounds!! He has to work to keep his beach boy shape.

When my wife throws me out I'll be living on Verrona Island just down the path. ;)
  • newegg
    newegg Posts: 78
    We have a large and small. Still want a mini...go for it...the BGE is wonderful. Great food, great forum and a great way of eating and cooking. I am so grateful that we have found this wonderful way of cooking and really enjoying our food. Wonderful for having friends and family over. Right now we are doing pulled pork and will be celebrating our daughters birthday. I do not care to eat out anymore. The BGE is the best food. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Go for it...
  • DSC_0007-18.jpg
    DSC_0011-5.jpg
    DSC_0003-28.jpg
    DSC_0009-6.jpg
    DSC_0001-34.jpg
    DSC_0004-18.jpg
    DSC_0001-26.jpg
    DSC_0004-19.jpg
    You can do this too with your new Egg

Ross
  • :laugh: LOVE the Basil-butt Chicken :woohoo:
  • :side: do you really need a push?
  • OK I get it. JUST BUY IT ALREADY!!

Thanks for the input folks.

I agree about waiting on the guru its just that I'm a total gadget whore.

I promise I wont leave Freds empty handed next time.