Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Worst Cook !

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Everyone shows their great cooks on here and there are a lot of you that make up your own recipes and techniques.

Being very conservative and not very creative, I have stuck to tried and tested recipes. But for you adventuresome ones, that experimentation has GOT to lead to a few awful cooks - adding to your learning curve ! :)

So, OUT WITH IT ! How bout some Saturday fun.....

Let's hear about some of your worst cooks. :silly: :whistle::blush:

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    OK I will take the bait!
    I caught a very big ocean Trigger Fish about a year ago and got two of the best filets you could ask for, threw them on the egg with two big hunks of hickory. When they were done I took one bite and spit it out quicker then it went in my mouth. :sick: :evil: :evil: It had the worst smoke and acrid taste. You can imagine my disappointment. :(
    So I have learned that fish and chicken take on smoke a lot and now just use the great flavor of spices and the gentle flavor of the lump.
    Hope this helps others in the future. :)
    JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    See.... that didn't hurt too much, did it?

AND, I for one learned not to use hickory for fish. If I use anything, it is usually alderwood. I guess cedar would work also.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Before I had an Egg, I used a ton of mesquite for cooking a steak. WAY too strong for our particular tastes. Ended up using a mixture of hickory and a little mesquite. On my Egg, I just use the lump on my steaks and we love the slight smoke taste.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    That is terrible.Trigger fish is like saltwater crappie!Man,I know you were upset.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I made brownies once. it was not good some things don't need charcoal flavor. Also I used Bad Byrons butt rub on ribs. They were way to spicy. We love bbbr on butts, but I guess i used to much for ribs.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Yes I was it was a big fish 7-8 lbs.
    JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I like getting my pizza way up in the dome like this.
    spatchcockchicken084-1.jpg

On one cook I lifted the dome when it should have been done and when I raised the dome up NO FRIGGIN pizza.That sucker got stuck in the dome and I thought there was a pizza thief in the neighborhood.One day I will do this on purpose and take a shot of it.
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    Egg'd a two tier cook of beef ribs. I didn't realize it but the second tier was to close to the dome thermometer. I thought that I had a bad bunch of lump because it i had a hard time keeping the temp. at 350. I had both bottom vent and daisy wheel wide open. My food was burnt. The beef ribs were too close to the dome thermometer which caused me to open the vents but the dome temp did not change. This caused the lump to get too hot. So far this was my only BAD cook.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    2008 Superbowl party with 80 plus at the house and left the last batch of chicken on one of the eggs and never closed the vents. Found it the next morning and the egg was still hot. Even the dogs didn't believe that I meant it and thats how you make chicken jerky or Egrets brownies. :(

In my defense alcohol was involved and the rest of the food was great. :laugh:
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Talk about carcinogenics.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    My first cook on my medium egg. I put a turkey leg on. Took a picture and was soo happy. I did not season it or nuthin. It sucked, but I was happy to have the egg. Too funny!!
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I had 25 or so people over for spares last Fourth of July, and I had about 8 slabs doing 3-1-1 on my Adjustable Rig. I took way too long wrapping them in foil, all the time with my lid open and the fire getting hotter and hotter. Eventually, the drip pan under the ribs began to smolder uncontrollably and the ribs absorbed a noticable amount of the acrid flavor. People said they were good, but I think they were just being polite as I could sure taste it.
  • Kahuna9000
    Options
    After a successful spatchcocked chicken, I opened the vents to cook off the grill a bit before shutting down and cooling off. When I took the food in, it looked so good, we started in on it right away. After eating our fill, I went outside and found an inferno.

I cooked the heck out of my gasket!

I should probably replace them at some point, but after 4 years, I'm in no hurry (obviously!)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Having owned my egg for so long I have tried successfully to forget the mistakes I made way back when.

I do remember a dinner party I was having where I was making filets and I just could not get the egg up to 600 no matter what. I was telling my guests how awesome the egg is and how fast it is to cook thick steaks (bragging is more like it!). I was freaking out that it would just not get over 300 degrees. I was a total newby and didn't realize that you had to stir the leftover lump around to make the ash fall through the holes in the grate. I discovered the next day that the ash was almost completely blocking airflow. This was approx 12 years ago and there wasn't any forum or help for me from the dealer. I actually brought the steaks in the house and cooked em on my jennair!! Hard to believe now.

I rarely mess stuff up any more. But I still have the occasional lapse. Here is a pic of one from last Sunday when I had some eggheads over for dinner. I guess the romaine was just a little to big for the mini!

CIMG3368.jpg

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily Eggin for 13 years!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Faith, Great Newbie story ! :)

Love the 'desperation" Mini picture !
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I've always wondered about the smoke flavor on desserts. I gues you have to really let the lump burn it off.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Now that's a great story ! :laugh: :laugh: :):)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Man, that was awful!

Reminds me of my first dual-control electric blanket where we got the controllers switched and I my wife was cold and kept turning it up and I kept turning mine down. Didn't figure it out until the next morning. Duh !
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Somehow, I just KNEW Egret's brownies were gonna come up in this topic. :woohoo: :(
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Just knew that expensive Egg was supposed to turn out the Best food, huh? Nobody bothered to mention seasoning??? :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Amazing how good food can make our memory go blank and we forget the Burn-off is going on!!!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    :woohoo: Tim and I have a very favorite dish, Escargot! Mmmmm...we love 'em! Poached in garlic butter with some nice crusty bread for dipping that butter! We'd only had them in restaurants, and went on a mission to do them ourselves! So, we found those special escargot plates,(and they aren't cheap!) found some escargot at RD, made garlic butter... oh yeah! Couldn't wait!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
    We prepared our special plates, one escargot per hollow, garlic butter....oh yeah.. :woohoo: ...then put them in the egg to smoke a bit! We discussed this tonight....we think we used Mesquite. :huh: The results were....well, enough to make us sick! :sick: WAYYY oversmoked!! Like...gagging over smoked!! :sick: It has been nearly two years now.... those special escargot dishes just collect dust. Neither of us can even stomach the thought of ever eating escargot again!!! TOTALLY ruined our desire to ever have these little critters, ever again! :( Ashame, really. (honestly, just thinking of it now is making me feel a bit ill).
    So....that's our worst cook...ever!!! :sick:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    brisket... with company coming..... ended up do burgers i think and just tossed that piece of shoe leather in the crock pot and had it the next night. man was I mad and embarrassed. I had been taking up the egg...
  • leaving out the alcohol induced errors..
    my worst cooks all involved too much smoke and the learning curve of smoke with differnt meats. as far as smoke wood .. i am not a mesquite fan ,, half and half hickory and persimmon is a great combination for beef pork and chicken ,, and the persimmon gives chicken a beautiful color as well.
    then there was fish that stuck to the grid tasty but real ugly
    nice trout ..

february016.jpg

nice veggies

february017.jpg

insert profanity here

february018.jpg

plated profanity

february.jpg
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    This is an easy one for me. The guy who talked me into buying my 1st BGE swore by his brisket recipe as "can't miss". B) After no success on my first one- not tender at all- I said, what the hell and made his recipe.
    I went to the grocery store and bought a couple of things needed for his recipe- including a spice I'd never heard of, ground cardamom.
    I'd never heard of this and paid over $10 for the smallest jar. I'm thinking, this shat better be good. :silly:
    I follow the recipe to the letter and cook it for poker night at my house.
    Needless to say it was horrible. It was so salty and had such a weird taste that after slicing and sampling, I refused to serve it to my buddies. They would have NEVER let this disaster go. :blush:
    Thank goodness I had plenty of pizza dough and ingredients to cover my rear-end.
    To this day he still swears by this recipe as the best one ever. I'll stick with Poolman's! :laugh:
  • Essex County
    Options
    I put a blueberry cobbler on the egg right after finishing a chicken cook. The cobbler looked great but smelled and tasted like burned chicken fat. Yum!
    Paul
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Great story, Michelle. I hope you can some day give it another try. Escargot is one of my favorite dishes.

I tried to get Jana to eat one 13+ years ago (at a restaurant) and the more she chewed, the bigger it seemed to get in her mouth - the thought of a snail. She almost gagged in the restaurant. We have never had them since. She loves sushi & sashimi, but no snails! :woohoo:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    How embarrassing! Hope the burgers were memorable!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Those fish look pretty bad - but I'll bet they still tasted "profanity" good !
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Another brisket disaster - two votes in the brisket column.

If the poker buddies had had enough beer, you might could have gotten away with the brisket!