Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bbq chicken on the gasser - help convert to egg

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wifey asked me: "Can you make some bbq chicken like you used to make it?" What this means is fire up the gasser, legs, thighs, wings on a medium heat, 20 minutes per side for the first 40 minutes, then flip every 10 minutes thereafter until done, usually 1:20 (plenty of beer drinking time standing by ready to shoot some water onto the flame-ups). Last 30 minutes or so, start covering it with Kraft (store bought) bbq sauce. She then makes macaroni salad and pork n beans inside.

I've been lurking here for a few months now and haven't seen any chicken prepared like this. Anyone have a recipe to produce something similar on the egg? I have no idea what temperature medium on my gasser equates to on the egg? Do I have to continually flip it (i think that was mostly due to flame ups) I might sneak some Carnivore out onto my chicken though.

thanks

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I raise the grid high in the dome and set it up around 350-375 direct. If you keep the dome closed and get the temp set the flair ups will be kept to a minimum. The skin will crisp up nicely and it will be dilicious. She should have no complaints about these.
    I do have to flip every now and then, I don't like the burnt skin either. Just watch it occasionally and you'll be fine.
  • Essex County
    Options
    You should be able to do this pretty much the way you did it on your gasser. I'd go with a temp of 300 for the first hour and then bump it to 350 for the last 20 minutes to get the skin crisp. You will want to turn the chicken a couple of times during the first hour and more frequently during the last 20 minutes. There shouldn't be a problem with flareups on the egg as there isn't enough extra oxygen in the closed dome. It may take a couple of trials to get the result you want.

An alternative is spatchcock chicken which you've probably seen if you've been lurking. You're just doing a direct cook on a whole chicken, backbone removed and flattened out. I've done this cook (about 1 hour at 350 many times) and you could finish with your BBQ sauce easily. Just a thought.

Good luck!
    Paul
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    I cook chicken direct between 350 and 400. I like the higher temp. because it helps crisp up the skin. You can turn one or twice during the cook, but more than that should not be necessary. I also sometimes cook whole birds on a vertical roaster indirect at approx. the same temp. Good luck.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Sounds like you have a defective model. Time to trade her in for a new one. :evil: :evil:
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    I am with Paul on this one. If your wife ever had a spatchcocked chicken with some DD Shakin the tree on it, she would quit with the BBQ sauce. Wow! And the moistness of the breast is something that has to be experienced.

Rick in Mt.
  • glousteau
    glousteau Posts: 124
    Options
    Haha, I'm in too deep to trade her in! She remembers the bbq chicken this way from WAY back when we were in college and poor. Could buy the leg/thigh quarters for 49 cents a pound and we ate a lot of chicken then...

I've done MANY spatchcocks, and she does like those too. Spatchcock is my favorite thing to cook on the egg so far; I think spatchcock really demonstrates the eggs ability to retain moisture. I've just never put any sauce on them, just seems wrong doing that.

thanks for the tips/suggestions, I'm gonna give the legs/thighs/wings a try.