Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rusted egg parts

jonboy
jonboy Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i picked up a large used egg and would like to replace a few rusted parts. just curious about the approximate cost on a new style hinge and clean out grate. can i order parts from the mothership?
the older syle hinge seems to be bent, hard to close.
or maybe i am just not familiar with them and how to use.
this egg has a ceramic charcoal plate...should i replace it? does anyone know how old this egg could be?
i dont have any pictures, sorry.
jon

Comments

• Jonboy,

Congrats on buying an egg. I too purchased a used one and replaced parts. You can definitely order parts from the mothership, or find someone online, I've also used fredsmusic and bbq, he's seems to have a reliable reputation. I'm sure others will share sites that they use too.

Sorry, don't know about the old hinges, they were missing from mine. To use it for the first few months, I used the handle and the top bar from the hinge area and lifted the whole top off to see how things were doing. Not too bad for low and slow, but a bit scary for a high temp cook. If I remember right, I think it was about 80 for the new bands, but I'm not sure, I got a few things.

I wouldn't replace the ceramic charcoal plate, save a few bucks, mine is working just fine, even though I dropped it and split it in two right down the middle.

Congrats again on your purchase and don't let any of those things keep you from cooking.

David
  • I recently bought the band and hinge assembly from the BGE dealer and it was 60.00
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    I recently bought an unused small at a dealer for a great price with the old scissor hinges on it and believe me they are a pain. Every time i open it the hinges pull the halves of the cooker out of alignment making a tight seal at felt line problematic. New spring assisted one can't be used since they are wider. The dealer said the unit was well over 10 years old and just stood on the floor as a display gathering dust. Just gotta live with it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i think those older scissor hinges sorta "lock" themselves open. you need to use the ash tool (or your hand i guess) to pull the "knee" forward a bit before closing.

there used to be lots of (well, a couple) stories of an inquisitive visitor opening the egg, then trying to shut it. eventually they force it shut and either break the hinge or pop the dome out because they didn't know the secret handshake (how to unlock the scissor hinge).

if you can get a replacement spring hinge, it's musch better. i
    'd call HQ though to verify that the new hinge will fit. never know, the ceramics mught be slightly different diameters (though there's room for wiggle)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    I did that stike, and they said that the spring assisted hinge is 3/4" wide while the one on mine is about 1/2". There is a little wiggle room but Bruce said he thinks they will be too wide for the older ceramics and the 2 halves won't come fully together. I'm gonna take your advice and get one of those rubber mallets and hammer the hinges into place before they start pulling while opening, and then to lower the top as well. Thanks for the input!
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Call your local dealer and see if they have any parts available or if they can get them to you within a reasonable amount of time. If not, call BGE.