Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite way to do ABTs

Options
Sun Devil Brett
Sun Devil Brett Posts: 440
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got kinda of a crazy day tommorrow, whatchin hoops, doing sliders, making lots of different salsas,(trial runs for a fest.) and I thought abts would go hand in hand. We've never done them before, so any input is great. Thanks, Brett B)

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Here's my favorite,just cream cheese and little smokies :woohoo: I added some dizzy dust to them also :) Very simple ;)

ABTs005.jpg
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    BTW,I do them at 350,indirect for about an hour,or till the bacon gets crispy :P
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Let me introduce you to the way I do them. I've done these at various fests for years and always get rave reviews. Despite what you'll hear from various members of this group, I can cook more than six at a time!! :woohoo: :woohoo: Keep it simple and you'll be amazed at the results :

Atomic Buffalo Turds
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients:

12 Jalapeno's - fresh, 2 -3 inches each
    1 8 ounce pack of Cream Cheese
    1 lb. Bacon (may not use all)
    1 pack Smoked Cocktail Wieners
    Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub

Preparation Directions:

Wash, remove stems and half jalapeno's lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut the end of jalapeno off to remove the stem. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would like a hotter ABT).
    Fill jalapeno halves with cream cheese, top with a cocktail wiener and sprinkle with some Dizzy rub. Put the two halves together and wrap the whole thing with a piece of bacon. Secure the loose end of the bacon with a toothpick.
    Sprinkle a liberal amout of Dizzy rub all over the surface of the bacon. Place ABT's on a rack over a drip pan.

Cooking Directions:

Stabilize BGE at 350 degrees. Place drip pan and rack of ABT's on a raised grid and cook for about 40 minutes. Turn them over to crisp up bottom side of bacon and cook for an additional 20 minutes.

Optional : add apple, oak or hickory chunks to fire before placing ABT's in the egg.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Brett:

CLICK HERE for my normal method of doing ABTs.

Though last weekend I did take a different approach CHECK THIS LINK

Hope this helps!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Options
    Although I have not met the Egg-Famous Egret, I completely agree with his recipe down to the Red Eye Express!!!

IMG_0822.jpg

Delicious!!!!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Agree with the above methods! We also like jimmy dean sausage inside, but our favorite it taco meat!! (usually from a prior dinner!)
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    I love using 26-31 count peeled and deviene (sp) shrimp instead of little smokies. John Henrys maple rub before wrapping in bacon. Works for me.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Muddy
    Muddy Posts: 37
    Options
    Did my 1st batch last weekend using egret's method with a little twist. On top of the cream cheese I put just a small drop of minced garlic, and used Everglades Rub. My guests ate all 24 within 15 minutes!

A bit of advice: use eye goggles when cleaning the peppers...I got an eye full of juice :( Took over an hour to get my sight back, ohhhhhhhh boy did it burn :ohmy:

Muddy
    Jax, FL
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    If I am serving several other appetizers, I like to do the half shell filled with cream cheese and wrapped with 1/2 slice of bacon. Great for a two bite treat! The BEST ones I ever ate used dove breasts instead of bacon. What a delicacy!

Slick
  • Emarf
    Emarf Posts: 167
    Options
    one way we like them is stuffed with pineapple cream cheese
  • Muddy
    Muddy Posts: 37
    Options
    Pineapple! Gotta try that :woohoo: