Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket adhesive failed.

Options
JackBurton
JackBurton Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my LGE BGE for about a 1.5 months and done a lot of cooking. I tried my first 600 degree pizza last night and it killed the adhesive on my gasket. Was able to peel the top gasket right off the lid.

My egg came with a replacement gasket and a note saying that lot may have had bad adhesive. Now I've looked through some old posts and need to know the best way to remove the gasket and put on the new one. I don't think I have to do much cleaning on the top since it peeled right off.

Is it hard to take the lid off the egg? The shop set it up for me and I was just wondering. I can always watch the DVD I guess since I skipped over the set up part.

Comments

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    So far I have had real good results with replacing the old felt gasket with the replacement felt that the egg comes with. I sprayed the 3M Super 77 adhesive directly on the lid and then peeled the paper from the felt and applied. It has worked really well.

Now removing the lid is easy once you get the pressure off of the spring assist. I opened the lid and disconnected the bottom end of the springs and others have zip tied the mechanism. I felt more comfortable with the springs disconnected and it does require some effort but it is a lot more safe IMO. Good luck!
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • soulfish
    soulfish Posts: 68
    Options
    just put new nomex gaskets on two days ago. one tip i found was to spray some of the 3M Super77 adhesive into a paper cup and use a cheap little sponge paintbrush to apply the adhesive to the egg surface. worked great and didn't have to worry about any overspray issues. i gave it a few minutes to become tacky, i cut the gasket into two equal lengths, one for top lid and one for bottom shell. then laid the gasket flat outdoors and sprayed the adhesive to the nomex. this made applying the gasket to the egg surface manageable for one person. cooked steak yesterday but kept the egg below 400°, as is recommended for the first few cooks.
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Options
    you can just use it with the bottom felt ,just loosen the the top and do $ bill test
    dave
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    just fyi... i think the felt with the adhesive tape is the issue. the adhesive tape isn't working well. you might still have a failure since the super77 isn't holding the felt, it's holding the adhesive tape. ...and the felt and adhesive tape aren't very tightly bonded. (at least that's what i gather from what i've heard after a few gasket failure threads. i do not have direct experience with that self-adhesive gasket kit.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GrillDaddy
    GrillDaddy Posts: 295
    Options
    stike- that is my understanding as well, I had mine go after 5 cooks
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    In the future you may want to set up a little differently to avoid the blast furnaced effect on the gasket. I do plate setter legs up, grid, grill extender and pizza stone on top. (you could do green feet and then the stone if you don't have extender) This seems to raise the stone enough to avoid the severe left turn of the heat hitting the bottom of the stone that is directly on the grid and hitting the felt.