Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

advice on 1 to 1 1/2" pork chops

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way you have done thick pork chops? Had them at smoke houses and never tried them on the egg.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I love indirect with apple wood. Just EVOO and a good rub for an hour at room temp. Low and slow at 225-250 with apple wood.
    plchops1.jpg

Baste with a mango sauce. Or other fruit preserves for the last 30 minutes.
    plchops3.jpg

Enjoy.

Mike
  • Mickey
    Mike would that be about an inch in pic? If so do you like that better than thicker?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Also, is that legs up?

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I love 1.5 to 2 inch pork chops.You can actually grill them without ruining them.Evoo,rub & TREX!!! AKA; "SRR" Sear at high heat,Rest ,Roast to NO MORE THAN 150 internal temp.Pull off egg rest, 5 mins.Salt and peppa is all the rub you need.Make some kind of sauce or Demi-glaze to serve with it.Just my 2$ worth!!! ;)
  • Mickey
    are you saying like a steak where you do it low and hot near the coals then bring it high up in the dome and cook?

• Mickey
    sorry did not see the word TREX....

• Mickey
    on that thick how much time are we talking?

• Hoss
    Yep.Sear both sides on hi heat then remove,rest until you can get temp back down then roast until internal temp is no more than 150.There are many ways to achive this.Just like TREXing a steak.Do not use chops less than 1.5 inches thick!
  • Hoss
    I sear each side about 60 seconds,pull,rest while I get the grate raised and temp stabilized at 400 dome,insert thermometer into chop, then roast until 150 IT. 10-15 mins. ;)
  • Yes! The thicker the better…sort of! I’m sure it is possible to get too thick…Hey, and then it’s a roast.
    I cut my own and most always have a run of 1-1/2” chops. The thin ones just don’t compare B) !
    Haven’t tried the “TREX” method, but do the indirect method like carwash mike.
    I do mine with a plate setter, legs up at a pretty low temp. (Maybe 300 F. MAX) until I have a temp. of 150 to 160 F. (max).
    I also use apple smoke wood and just recently I used apple butter as the finish! They were yum ;) !
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Funny just did some last night, a bit more work but yummie.

Season with Red Eye Express (Dizzy Pig), and a little bit of olive oil.

Take your designated cast iron pan (handle cut off so it fits) and set it on the grill and light her up, 500-600 or so.

Almost blacken each side about 90 seconds, take off the grill and let it rest in aluminum foil. Choke grill down, and when it is under 400 (or as low as 300) finish off the chops until desired doneness.

nooBBQ,
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Hi Mickey
    I grill direct high heat for 3 min per side high heat. Use you favorite rub then I serve with a combo of orange marmalade and horseradish. Make it as horsey as you like. I serve with grilled sweet potatoes rubbed with olive oil and Jamacian Firewalk. Our favorite meal.
    Doug
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I like 1 1/2 inch chops. Really hard to mess up indirect.

Mike
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    WOW

3 minutes/side for 1-1/2" think chops??

Seems a bit short, what level of doneness do you get? (I don't mind my pork to be somewhat medium maybe even a little below, but that size chop...)

nooBBQ,
  • bgsuvinc
    bgsuvinc Posts: 3
    depends on the internal temp you get with the chop temp them after direct heat for 2:30 min then 3 min I like 140 and take them off losely cover with foil let sit 12 min temp should be around 145 no red maybe some pink tender juicey I like 425 Degrees F on direct coals just be sure you have 1.5 inch thick

• Mickey
    Damn, that was a long time ago

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Happy 10th anniversary!
    canuckland
  • Mickey
    Happy 10th anniversary!
    Thanks but I was asking really dumb questions for longer than that.... I am guessing that was near when the new forum came online... I remember being on the old forum for a couple of years before the new one started. 

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    My advice is make sure they aren't 1/2" pork chops. People get a little sensitive about that around here.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    I've gotten rather lazy with thick cut pork chops.  I start with a pork loin and slice it at a minimum of 2".  I can usually find it for $1.99/lb or less. Vac seal in packs of 2 what I'm not cooking right away.  I marinade in zesty italian dressing for a several hours and then sous vide at 135 for 1.5-2 hours, and a freakin hot sear to get a good crust on each side.  Nothing smokey about them but they're pink and jiucy and very good.    

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited June 2019
    Brine, slow smoke and reverse dear. Actually this is one of the few things I do at 225. 

sous vide is a great tool for these

necrothreads get me everytime
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    edited June 2019

Reverse sear for me, indirect, and then seared on CI. I love a good char on some chops.

or, butterfly, and stuff.

edit; and.....I just realized this thread was from 2009...

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    I like thick boneless loin chops. I brine them in advance. One part Kosher salt, two parts brown sugar. Enough water to make it a mild brine. 6 hours is usually good but overnight is better.

Pat them dry and give the outsides a light coating with some bacon fat you keep in a jar in your refrigerator (doesn't everyone). Use that as the glue that binds a light coating of rub.

Lightly sear both sides direct, then move to indirect at about 300* until the internal temp is where you want it. I shoot for 145* to 150*. Let them rest for 5 minutes or so prior to serving.

Fork tender every time.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    I agree with @Teefus. I brine every piece of pork I cook. My recipe for the brine differs by what's on hand. Basically salt water and apple juice or ACV. Sometimes both. I use Dizzy Dust or Meat Church. Quick sear, then low and smokey over apple or pear, to 145 tops. I also like to make a glaze for the end buy thinning a preserve (orange, gooseberry, raspberry, anything really) with some ACV or white balsamic. Absolutely outstanding. Always gets rave reviews.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH