Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need clarification on band removal

Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning to replace the gasket on my large BGE since it has gotten burnt. I called BGE and they sent me a Nomex adhesive free replacement gasket.

I've been reading as many posts as I could find about the process and the only part that is still confusing is the dome and band removal.

My grill was assembled by my dealer and he gave me the white plastic spring thingies to save. I tried them yesterday and they don't fit - they are a tiny bit short. So, I've decided that I will use some plastic cable ties instead of them which should solve this problem.

So, my confusion is about removing the bands so I can remove the dome. This is what I think is correct and I'd appreciate confirmation. It looks like I just have to loosen the 2 bolts (the bent ones that hold the bands together) a little so that I can remove the bands once I have used the cable ties to prevent the spring from opening. It looks like nothing else has to be loosened. Once the bands are loose, I can remove the dome and then the bands to get at both gasket surfaces. Does this make sense?

Barry
Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    wearing safety glasses, hold the dome open and pry the springs off with a screw driver, its really simple to do if the dome is held open. makes things much easier
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I need to do the same thing. Is it easier to just take the springs off? I'm a little scared I might damage myself/the egg
  • Shiff
    Interesting way of handling the springs.

What about my question about the band removal? Are those 2 bent bolts all that need to be loosened?

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    You DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE ANYTHING. Just loosen the tension bolt on the upper band all the way and lift the dome right out of it. It is a breeze. DO NOT LOOSEN THE BAND FOR THE BASE.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I do agree with fishlessman, removing the springs is the easiest and safest way. It would be a world of pain if the tie wraps give.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Shiff
    Don't you have to remove the band to be able to more easily clean the gasket surface?

I assume the tension bolt is the one I mentioned in my original question - the one that becomes bent when they are tightened?

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    If you have the White Plastic things just snap them on, just place one end on then press and the other end will snap in place, then put tie wraps on and you can safely remove the dome. That is what i did when replacing my gasket after the 2nd cook. Good Luck
  • fishlessman
    you got it.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    place the tip of the screwdriver on the hinge and slide the end toward the handle under the bent part of the spring and gently lift, slide it off and let the spring relax. there is nothing scary about it, always wear safety glasses with springs, but you wont have a problem. with no springs its easier to fit the dome later as well. with the dome open the spring doesnt have much tension so take them off with the dome open
    fukahwee maine

• Shiff
    I tried putting the white plastic tabs on and they would not fit. I did as you said - put one end on and pressed very hard and the other end wouldn't go on.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Are you putting them on the correct bolts? I took mine off a couple of weeks ago and at first was trying the wrong two. And yes, it's the two bent bolts that have to be loosened.
  • Shiff
    I checked the assembly instructions to make sure I'm trying the correct two. It almost fits, but no matter how hard I press, it won't go on.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA