Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just for the HALIBUT :)

RayS
RayS Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone[p]I have 4 Halibut fillets that I would like to do on the BGE. Any ideas on how to cook these? Any ideas on a side dish for halibut? [p]Seafood is normally taboo in my house, but everyone likes fish and chips from a local Fish & Chip joint. They serve halibut, which is not really fishy tasting. With this in mind I'm going to try these halibut fillets and see what the croud thinks.[p]Again, any ideas would be appreciated.[p]Thanks
RayS

Comments

• RayS,[p]Do a marinade that has lemon and olive oil in it. Lemon goes real good with halibut. Reserve some of the marinade for basting while you cook the fillets. It won't take long, maybe 4 minutes a side for a 1" fillet. I would go with some asparagus and a nice wild rice for sides.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Scottie,
    Nice suggestion. I know that Ray lives in my neck of the woods (southern Ontario) and asparagus is enjoying the peak of its short season. That's a great veggie choice... would you suggest grilling it? I never have, but I do love it steamed with a good jolt of creamery butter on top.....
    Qfan

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    RayS,
    I'm watching the posts, as I just received a "Care Package" of 25 pounds of fresh Halibut shipped in from Anchorage. [p]My brother-in-law lives there and apparently he was on a productive fishing trip! He called yesterday and told us it was on the way. [p]They have it on sale at my local grocery store for about $9 per pound right now...what the heck am I going to do with all this? Good thing it's frozen. I've cooked it before, and it is a real nice fish. Big flaky chunks, sweet, a poor mans lobster. Normally it isn't too fishy. [p]I have a couple nice sized packets thawing for dinner tonight. I thought I'd just use butter, a little garlic, lemon, salt and pepper and just grill it on the egg for a few minutes on each side (until it firms up) I'm debating taking the skin off or not, we'll see. [p]Good Luck! Maybe we can compare notes later....much later, as I'm not doing this until about 9PM.[p]Mike in MN

• RayS
    Mike in MN,[p]Let me know how yours turns out as I won't be cooking mine until later in the week. Today I did 3 racks of baby back ribs rubbed with mustard and Dizzy Dust. I cooked them at 250 for 4 hours, started mopping after 1 1/2 hrs and finally added homemade bbq sauce for the last 20 min. [p]RayS
  • RayS
    Scottie,[p]Thanks for the suggestion. As BBQfan1 pointed out we are in the asparagus season right now around here. I like to roll them in olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt then grill until they turn a nice deep green color. As for the rice, I have never had any luck cooking it on the BGE, they seem to fall right through the grate. Ha Ha :). Seriously, wild rice sounds like another great side dish for the halibut.[p]RayS
  • RayS,
    Greetings from Alaska. While some will Egg everything including an Angel food cake, try this traditional and rare recipe with halibut; Hanus Bay halibut.
    2# halibut cut in 1 in chunks
    2 cans artichoke hearts, drained
    2 c button mushrooms
    sauce: 1/2 c butter, 1/4 c flour, 1/4 c white wine, 1/4 t garlic salt, 1 1/2 t Accent or MSG (risk it, OK?), 3/4 c sour cream, 4 oz cheddar, 1/4 t hot sauce, 1 c milk.
    * melt butter in lg casserole. add flour and gradually stir in milk and wine. add the rest. stir/simmer till thickened. pour over fish, mushrooms, and artichokes. bake @350F for 50 minutes.

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    RayS,
    That sounds good. (your ribs)[p]The Halibut turned out wonderful. Biggest challenge is the BGE grill is almost spaced too wide. There could be double the amount of grill bars on the grill rack. The fish wants to break up a bit and fall between the cracks. You have to handle things gingerly. I flipped them only once, but I loosened the filets a couple of times with a thin spatula to keep them from sticking too bad.[p]The filets were skinned and the brown fat layer was removed. I can't stress the importance of removing this fatty layer of gunk. This is what gives a lot of fish that rank, fishy taste. They were then washed and patted dry.[p]I had taken some unsalted, unsweetened butter, (2 sticks) and cooked it with 2 crushed/chopped garlic cloves until the milk fat had separated, and then strained it through paper towel and a mesh screen, creating a simple clarified garlic butter. I brushed this on the filets and added salt and pepper. (simple) The BGE was cranked up and I created "lava" in the firebox. My temp was about 600 in the very beginning. I "lubed" the grill down with a half of onion that had been marinated in olive oil and seasoning. Lubing the grill is a challenge because of the flame and heat at this point (gloves required) I threw on the filets and closed everything down a bit. I would say the median cooking temp was about 450. I left the filets on side one about 4 minutes, loosening them once so they wouldn't stick. They were then flipped one time, and the grill temp was allowed to drop to a comfortable dwell temp of about 400. It's hard to say 400 exactly, as I was opening and closing the dome more than a purist egger would probably allow. But, 400 is a number to think about. About 3/4 of the way through, every time I opened the dome to check the progress, I spritzed a little fresh lemon on the filets to make them happy.[p]In the end, when they had firmed up to where they were done, I pulled them and drizzled a little more of the garlic butter and squeezed more lemon juice on them. I had planned on 4 of us for dinner...and the 2 kids had other plans..lots of leftovers...bummer, eh? We ate fish until we didn't really care for any more....[p]Halibut is definately a great fish. Poor mans lobster. Rich, big flakes, lots of flavor. No fishiness whatsoever. [p]I still have about 20 some pounds left,,,,,,life's a *itch. More Beer. Next Halibut dinner my lovely wife is going to do the Halibut with cracker crumbs, Lawrey Salt and pepper in the fry pan...she has that method down pat after cooking fresh fish "at the cabin" for umpteen years.[p]Mike in MN

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Rays,
    Darryl has mentioned using some coconut milk when cooking the rice, and I have been meaning to try that. Bet that would be good with your Halibut/Asparagus combo!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Qfan,[p]I cook mine on the grill all the time and it can also be cooked on the egg with the same method... A little lemon slices and butter in a sealed aluminum foil pouch... Leave it on the grill (depending on their thickness) from 10-15 minutes...

• Mike in MN,[p]If you are finding that the grills are spaced too far apart, try either placing some heavy duty aluminum foil directly on the grill, or the best bet is to get one of those non-stick grill helpers... It just goes straight on the grill and the fish doesn't fall through the cracks...