Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

has any one ever...

citychickencitychicken Posts: 484
edited 12:10PM in EggHead Forum
i have an extra large crockpot and the electrical components have failed and appear to be beyond repair. i was thinking of using the earthenware/ceramic pot for cooking chili or other stews in the egg.

has anyone done something like this? any thoughts on maximum temps? i suspect i would only use in an indirect setup.

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,908
    Never done it, but 350F indirect probably would survive.
  • Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Saw a pic here a couple of days ago with a crockpot sitting in the Egg so someone is using it.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    I have seen several posts with pics that looked like a salvaged coock pot for a cooking container.I have one myself.Haven't used yet but will.I would only use with a heat barrier.Platesetter,pizza stone,etc. ;)
  • citychickencitychicken Posts: 484
    thanks for your input.
  • I made 28 lbs. of pulled pork for a tailgate. I put some of it in my crockpot (hot) and put it in a cooler. Off it went to the game (I did not go). It stayed plenty hot before the game, but after, someone had a great idea to put the ceramic crock pot insert on a gas grill in the parking lot for the after party.

When I got my crock pot and ceramic insert back there was a Large crack right down the side of the ceramic dish. Luckily it didn't shatter and no one got hurt. Now, I have no idea how hot the gas grill was but I would be very careful using it on any sort of heat other than what it was intended for.

Yes, they bought me a new crock pot.
    Faith
    Tampa, Fl
  • I had the very same question and just wasn’t sure….
    I did go ahead and use it, keeping the temp. to about 350 F. Everything worked fine! But I do think that it can quickly get way too hot!
    So my thought is that keeping everything under, say the 400 F. mark, may be of benefit all around.
    Also remember that quickly going from cold to hot (which may have been what happened to “Florida Grillin Girl”) isn’t a good thing with a ceramic pot!
    Go slow. Keep it kinda low...And it should be OK!
  • BoatmanBoatman Posts: 854
    I use the earthenware pot for baking bread all the time. The temp is 500 and never had a problem. B)