Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini purchase and gasket question

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Mini seems to be the buzz over the last several weeks and I caved and orderd one last week and hope to pick up today. And yes, as with my other Eggs, my wife does not know about this purchase. My small Egg is still hiding in my XL so I will stash the mini in the Large till the smoke clears.
Question is should I remove and replace the factory gasket now "before" my first use or would it be easier to let it fall off, clean surface and then replace.
I have never replaced an unused gasket but wanted to know if anyone else had done so. Does it pull off clean before use?
Not tring to start a gasket hate post, this is an honest question.
Darian
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL I can not help you much with your decision to replace the gasket. I think I would just go ahead and do it. my top gasket wrapped around my rib eye when I was flipping them the other night. had done bakers and asparagus then tossed on the steaks. so I guess I would yes that. What I am laughing at is this picture in my mind of all your eggs nested inside each other like those Russian dolls! LOL :lol: :silly: trying to hide them..... Julie
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Good morning Darian....I still have the gasket that came on mine 5 years ago.
    Larry
  • Mainegg
    Options
    After all the cooks we have done on our eggs they all are fine. BUT and a big but here the mini we just got in Ocala and the med my folks got there both failed. We are both heavy users, know what we are doing and did all the right stuff. I have 7 :blush: yes 7 eggs and everyone is fine but the new mini. I was walking around checking this out at the fest and just about every egg had a failed gasket. At first I did chalk this up to the fact that these eggs had to hit the ground running and did everything from low and slow to high fast pizzas. to give the supplier credit every egg had a new gasket in it with the directions for replacing. it is the glue not the gasket itself and I know the the Big green egg is in the egg business not the glue business so there is not to much they can do if they can't make their on glue :) but why now? did they change glues? and I know there have been a few that was the gasket not the glue. Someone had posted that they thought packing material was under their gasket between the felt and the ceramic. I can under stand this as that is how the glue acted after it failed. it was like a piece of saran wrap sticking out of the edge. I know it could not have been packing as nothing would have been left after cooking. it would have melted away. so I have my first failed gasket :) Julie
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    For several months I was cooking on my XL and Large at different times. The Egg that was not being used was under a tarp in my garage. Took a few months before she noticed I was cooking on two different size Eggs.
    Lora does not drink much so the chances of me passing the Mini off are slim to none. She now checks the garage for new toys.
    I have followed your Mini posts and this is one of the reasons I posted and purchased. How much trouble was the bottom gasket and what gasket replacement did you use?
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Hi Larry,
    I agree, the older Eggs seem to hold the gasket well.
    My first XL did great till I wrapped the temp around and fried it. My large is still going ok as well. My new XL and Small both blew gaskets very quick. They just came loose after a few cooks.
    Hope you are doing well.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i think the mothership has addressed the gasket problem.. depending on when yours was manufactured you may be ok. once you have your egg you could e-mail them and ask if it is apre or post gasket failure model?
    did you find my mini slideshows yesterday?
    looking forward to YOUR mini photos.
    bill
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Hey Darian...is Lora coming to Ok with you?
    Judy
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Bill,
    Thank you, I did see your post. You really did some fine cooks on the Mini.
    I did not hear that BGE had a good gasket glue in use.
    Thanks for the help.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Photoegg, yep, you probably need to replace it after the first few cooks. I got mine in Dec. and was surprised to see that the gasket was put on with what looked like doublestick tape!

CIMG2875.jpg

I used the 3M 77 and it worked great! My 13 year old Large still has the original gasket!!!

Have fun with the mini and I hope you don't have to hide it for too long!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Thanks for post and photo.
    That was a clean gasket release. I bet the Mini will be easy to hide.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Hi Judy,
    Lora will also attend. It will be great to visit with you and Leroy. It's been way to long.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spring Hen
    Options
    mmmm....I see some "hush money" in my future..hee..hee...

Yes, it has been too long. We are really looking forward to being with you guys again. Now, if I can only control you, the Chicken, and Sailor Jerry all will be right with the world.
    Spring "hard job ahead" Hen
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I'm sure Lora will give you a hand.
    She knows how Jerry gets at Eggfests...
    What is the going rate for not giving up a Mini?
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spring Hen
    Options
    mmmm..gotta think on that one...
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would wait on replacing it until you need to.

Got mine in Dec, lot of cooks on it. Bottom gasket is pretty crisp and a couple weeks ago dome was stuck shut after a cook. Even after that it's still ok. Holds temp well and shuts down when it's supposed to.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    They may have gotten a batch with bad glue Julie.I have had real good luck with all of my gaskets and I also have 7 eggs...Are we sick?LOL

Larry
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Dany Julie,
    7 Egggs, I'm impressed. :woohoo: Thought I was doing good with 4 and I live alone. (Well??? Got my Eggs for company) :lol:

Good for you, sorry to hear of your gasket failure.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    7 eggs?? :ohmy: I need to get a better job I only have 3 :P Like you I have had no problems with gaskets but my eggs are older. A tip for Neil when he replaces the gasket "leave the grinder in the garage" :ohmy: :laugh: :woohoo:
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Mine looks just like that! Nomex gasket on the way from the Mothership.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    LOL only three were new, the others were adopted :) and the nice thing on the gasket failure on the mini is it is as clean as a whistle. just fell off when I opened the lid to flip the steak. so no grinding needed. I just pulled it of and kept on cooking. the bottom is fine and it was pretty tight.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Just picked up my Mini and I'm out of the big city soon and on my way home for the weekend.
    Thanks for your posts.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    I am waitin' on the delivery of my mini too.
    Just my two cents....
    Did not know about this whole suspect gasket thing until now but I will wait until mine needs replacing before I do it.
    The way I figure it, the gasket came in the price of the Egg so I'm going to use it until it fails.
    Like I said....that's just me.
    Hopefully when you get yours you will share some cook pics. Can't wait to gey mine.
  • GrillDaddy
    GrillDaddy Posts: 295
    Options
    my XL pulled off clean after 5 cooks, I would call BGE mothership and ask if your BGE would have gasket issue. Good Luck and Good Question.