Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

General Smoking Question

Chef BoyareeChef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited 7:18PM in EggHead Forum
This weekend will be my first BGE BBQ. When I am smoking the food, is it absolutely necessary to use the plate setter? I was planning on it but thought I would poll the group...

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    It all depends on what you're cooking and what your intended results are.
  • pulled pork, 2 whole chickens and ribs
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    In that case, yes, I would use a platesetter or other indirect setup.
  • thanks. I was going to do wings as well but even though I bought the xl grill i don't think there will be enough room
  • You can get a lot on the XL and you can almost double your real estate with one of these.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=231
  • My BGE dealer had the new XL extender and 18 inch grid. The extender is completely circular; 2 SS rings about 4 inches apart with the 18 inch grid sitting on the smaller upper ring. The large ring is 24 inches and fits all the way to the XL walls. It's perfect! It's not on the BGE website yet, but call your dealer and ask him if he has it.
  • GrillDaddyGrillDaddy Posts: 295
    I would get a plate setter if you are going to do indirect cooking. You will love it. what size BGE do you have?
  • LambchopsLambchops Posts: 166
    I don't know if they make it for the XL Egg but I bought the three tier rack for my large and I can get about 30 pounds of meat on there. I did a big pork roast for pulled pork and two briskets for my wifes family with no problems.