Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wood chip arrangements

Options
BulldawgEgger
BulldawgEgger Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to get the longest smoke out of wood chips?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Just layer them throughout the lump
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    yes.. layer throughout will work

or also consider some chunks on top for larger cuts to get more smoke early on and then chips layered deeper in the lump.
  • GrillDaddy
    GrillDaddy Posts: 295
    Options
    I assume you are talking about woodchip like apple, hickory, etc..
    for me, it seems that the first 1/2 hour is the most important time to get those smokes into the meat. I like to use a metal box. this gives me a good 5 minutes to get my setup on the grill without having smoke coming up in my face. The wood chip smoke last about 1/2 hour +

Good luck!
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I too think early in the cook is most important. I took my cues from Elder Ward's Pork Butt recipe on Naked Whiz.

The first time I cooked a butt, I put small chunks at 3, 6, 9o'clock and one at center. At the end of 16 hours, 2 of them were still in there.

The second time I put one big chunk right on the lit lump. I thought my butts had a better smoke ring the second time.

I've also notice that my lump burns toward the 2 o'clock position first. Maybe I'll use that information to add a second chunk.

I will keep expirimenting, but those are my experiences thus far.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Don't use them..

Use Chunks instead..