Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Routers

Semolina Pilchard
Semolina Pilchard Posts: 768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had bad luck with wireless routers. Two of them were made by Linksys and one was a D-Link. Are these good brands and I just happened to get a lemon? Are there other brands that are better?

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I use a Belkin and love it so far ;)
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Those are both fine. Are they really lemons? What are you trying to do that it wouldn't..do?

mShark-the-geek
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    I think you need to go with a Belkin. This is the one we like at work and it has really worked out for everyone we've recommended it to.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=372043
  • I have it set to run a desk top wired from the router, and and to run a wireless laptop. Everything is going along fine for a year or two, and then the router gives out and then both computers can't get online. If I bypass the router and plug straight into the computer I then can get online. This is the third time in about 5 years. Is that the normal life span? :ermm:
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    Well, I will say this about my Belkin. I got it 5 years ago at a "Black Friday" sale at Best Buy for $5.00 and it's still going strong. Last Thursday night a huge storm rolled through New Orleans and lightning hit pretty close to the house and the $20 surge protector did it's job and blew up. Everything plugged into it is fine, including my Belkin router. Went to Walmart today and replaced the surge and I'm up and running.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Just some thoughts.

I had the same problem. I went through a lot of different routers & brands.

As it turned out the frequency of the routers and my phone were on the same band.

I switched chanels on the router and it helped a little but not great.

Ended up buying a new higher frequency wireless phone and all problems were solved.

If you have potential frequency problems unplug the phones or other devices and run the router(s) to see if there is a conflict.

GG
  • I have had a similar experience, my nephew was here with a remote control car and it would only go 5 feet and stop. I realized it was on the same freq. as a set of wireless headphones I have. Was that a constant or intermittent problem? I am not sure if that is the case here, because it is intermittent, and when the problem happens, both my computers, the wireless laptop and the desktop that is wired to the router can not get online.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Change channels inside the router. Try the extreme low end then go to the extreme upper end. If I recall there are 11 channels available..

I bought and tried Hawk, D-Link, Belkin, Zonet, Linksys, and three others.

For me Linksys was the best, then Zonet and finally Belkin. I had nothing but problems with D-Link. I wasn't familiar with Hawk so I didn't stay with that.

GG
  • If something is on the same frequency would that also interfere with my desktop that is getting it's signal from the router from a wire and not wireless? I don't see how.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Are you using Cable or phone line for your internet. If you are using cable you could have issues with for example lightning. Your router might be getting zapped through the network connection.

I was going through routers about once a year till I tracked down the problem. I was burning out the power supply on the routers.

I also have to change my freq about once a month. I scan my neighborhood and see who is on what freq and pick one that is open.

Also make sure the router is in a ventilated place. they can get hot and clip out..
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Depends a lot on the electrical current and how many ups and downs it gets. I've got a linksys on my patio wireless that's been up forever in not great conditions. I've got a linksys in the computer closet wired that wouldn't hold a line for more than a few days! Have a Dlink in there now that is steady as a rock. Who knows. When they are on sale, I buy one to have a spare. Fortunately they aren't outrageously expensive anymore.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    I'm a Mac guy so I vote for AirPort Extreme. It worked well when my kids had a PC, so I know it will play well w/ both Macs and PCs. I use to have a Linksys wired router before going wireless. I put this inline between my modem and my APX (at the advice of some security experts, an NAT router acts as another firewall between your wireless network and your internet connection). Eventually, anything hooked to one or two of the wired ports lost its connection. Apparently these got fried somehow. The other ports still worked. So maybe the incoming port on your router (from modem) is fried.