Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonite's dinner?

Options
RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok...Im leaving the office right now. Im going to stop at Costco and pick up 2 thick New YOrk steaks, and 2 fresh chicken fryers.
They are going to be for dinner tonite. Since I wont have time to marinade or rub..(or do I?) what is the best way to prepare?
And remember...this is my first attempt at "anything" on the Egg.
Just askin for advice here........
Bob

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RLA, go for the steaks..Slather in mustard add your rubs and grill anywhere from 600 to 750 degrees. 2 minutes per side and close up the BGE ..Wait 6 more minutes for a nice medium rare steak. Brine the birds for tomorrows cook.
    C~W[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    RLA,
    I hate to ask this, but are the steaks & chicken both for tonight?[p]If you look at just the steaks, fire up the Egg to about 550 to 600 degrees. (You could go to 700 to 750 degrees) Soak some wood chips or chunks in water while you get everything ready.(The Egg and the Steaks) Rinse the steaks and trim off any excess fat.(that's your choice, 'cause I like to leave it on for the cook and my wife wants it taken off!) Take a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and rub the steaks thoroughly. If you've got it, rub some Montreal Steak Seasoning or Lowery's all over the steak. (No extra salt at this time!) Also, if you have some prepared crushed garlic, rub it on too.
    By this time the Egg should be 'rockin' & rollin', and up to you target temp. Put your soaked wood on the coals and sear each side for 2 to 3 minutes. This should be done with the bottom vent open, no daisy wheel on top and the dome closed. (You'll have a flume to cook your steaks in initially) Be careful when you open the dome, to prevent that whoosh from smokin' the hair off your arm. When you've got the steaks seared on each side, close the bottom vent almost totally and the top vent totally. Let them baby's cook like that for 4 to 8 minutes depending on how thick they are and how you like your steaks.( with 1 1/2" to 2" KC strips, I sear 'em for 3 minutes on each side and let them cook for about 6 minutes if you like a medium rare to medium steak!) There's no way to be exact over the internet but, you'll soon learn it to perfection! Serve 'em up, put on a little salt if needed, and presto change-o you've got a piece of meat fit for a king![p]I do something simular to the chickens, but this post is getting long! Give me a shout via e-mail and I'll describe it for you.[p]Good luck, good eating and welcome to the family![p]Dr. Chicken

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Ain't it funny how great minds think alike??? Same Idea....just a little different approach! Nothing wrong with that![p]Dr. C

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    RLA,[p]I'm sot sure if I saw this here or not but someone said to take the steaks and put them in a ziplock bag. Pour some olive oil over them and some herbs/spices. Let this sit in the fridge for a day of so, kind of like a brine of olive oil. man, that sounds good. Won't help with last nights cook but for futures it may be something to try.