Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BB Bacon

Options
TomM24
TomM24 Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is my first buckboard bacon pretty good just a touch salty next time I'll do a couple of rinses.I don't like my food as salty as most people
IMG_0531.jpg

Comments

• EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    Trying another batch sounds like a good call. Go ahead and ship that batch down to me!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    You got some nice color on that. Was that the rib half of the loin? That's my favorite.

With a longer soak and rest you can dial the saltiness about anywhere you want it.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TomM24
    Options
    I have no idea what side of the loin it was and the color in the photo is better than actual.That said a coworker told me today he'd pay me to make more of your smpked salmon I said I'll be happy to make more he just needs to cover the cost of the fish
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC06154JPGajpgb.jpg

The rib end has a couple of muscles that take the color well, about 1/3 of the way you can see the color change between the muscles and the sirloin end is back to one muscle, which doesn't take the color as well. The rib end is a little fattier and (I think) more flavorful.

I cured and somked some steelhead on Sunday...the cure time was 4-1/2 hours, and I rinsed and rested about 3 hours. I'll be doing more of that soon.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TomM24
    Options
    Now I know it was the rib end and I agree the deeper colored portion has more flavorj