Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baked potato

Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This one may seem dumb, but growing up, a baked potato meant microwaved first to soften it and baked in an oven afterwards only to melt toppings. I'm quite adept at this technique, but felt it was time to learn how to do it the real way.
So--how would I do this? I'll be cooking chicken breasts tonight at 350 anyway, so I thought I could just wrap them in foil and put them on at the same time. How long though will they take? I assume I should poke holes in the potato, but what about the foil?
Thanks.
--Aron

Comments

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Aron,
    Yes, you should poke holes in your potato. Foil would be great so any stray flames don't burn it. Baking a potato should take about 1 hour at 350 degrees (just like in a household oven).
    Julie

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Aron,
    I like my food to be ready to eat when it is at its peak time so I microwave my potatoes for about six minutes then oil and wrap them in foil to go on the grill. That way I know they will be done when the meat is ready. The times I tried cooking them along with the meat turned out not so good - either over cooked or under cooked. Baking is much better that nuking for sure.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Aron,
    i've done them in the egg with pretty good results. .. also, the type of potatoe does make a difference as well. ..you can get standard baking potatoes which are good, but try either red skinned or my favorite, yukon golds (try to find a bag of larger ones for the egg. . ..i don't wrap them. ..i rub them in olive oil and kosher salt, then lay them around the grill edge (so they don't get hit with any direct flame). . an hour at 350 is just about right, they will be tender and have some smoke flavor to them. . .if you have it, try some dizzy pig raging river on them as well. ...my family really likes yukon golds with olive oil and RR on them. .. also, turn them a few times so they don't get burned on one side or the other . ... [p]oh and i never, ever microwave potatoes, i think it takes away some of the flavor.. .just my humble opinion of course. ..[p]enjoy[p]max

• Blue,
    Premature submit.
    So, Aron, without knowing what's in your larder...
    Take them taters, scrub 'em good and with a fork poke little holes all over them. Put a glop (a tablespoon or two) of lard in one hand and rub it all over the tater. Wrap in a double-layer of foil, and put them right on the coals. Then put the grill in place and cook dinner.[p]Just like Julie (below) said, 60 minutes later you'll have what baked potatoes were s'pozed to taste like.[p]Ken

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I also love the yukon gold, great flavor no matter how you cook them.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• New Bob,
    yukon golds are the BEST!!. ..try them cut up small, tossed with olive oil, kosher salt, garlic (or the way we like them now, with raging river rub). ..roast them in the oven (or egg) at 425 for about 30 minutes, stirring them around once or twice), they will come out crispy and delicious, and like i said, the raging river is fantastic on them. . . .damn, now i need to go to the grocery store. .

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    mad max beyond eggdome, I second your suggestion of using salt on the outside. It certainly give a good flavor to the peelings which is my favorite part of the baked potato.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    O.K.
    Sounds like a plan, will try them in a day or two. (in the egg)[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I like the idea of no foil, since that way more smoke flavor should get to them. I just put 2 potatoes on (I have no idea what type--it was a 5 pack for 50 cents I couldn't pass up), and rubbed them with olive oil and old bay (no dizzy pig rubs yet, but I just got word that they'll be shipping to me tomorrow!) and put them on 15 minutes ago. The chicken breasts will go on once I hit the 45 mark, since they take me about 15 mintues. Thanks for the help.
    --Aron

• Aron,
    sounds good, the old bay should be a nice touch as well. . .for $.50 a bag, you probably got your basic russet spud. . .they're good to. . .but definitely keep your eye out for the yukon golds. . ..once you eat those, you'll understand what i'm talkin about. .. . [p]and when your dizzy pig shows up, experiment with the rubs on spuds. ..we are partial to the raging river, but i've also tried the tsunami spin and liked that on taters too. ..[p]enjoy your dinner

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Hey, do you kinda like roll the potatoes in olive oil then RR? Sounds like something I need to try.
    When I do taters. I roll in olive oil, no foil, slice open for the last 10-15 minutes and add rubs and other goodies.[p]CWM

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Whew. What a day! Finally have a minute and a half to glance at the forum![p]Raging River eh? Man. I learn so much by seeing what yall are doing with those rubs. Stuff I wudda never thought of.[p]Now ya gotta try this! Cut the taters into 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick slices, and do your same oil/rub treatment. Then grill direct at 300 or so for maybe 10-15 per side.....depending on how far from the fire, and how quickly they brown. Brown on both sides and chow down. Sometime I wanna try 1/8 inch slices at 600 for a minute a side. Bet they'd be good too.[p]Nighty night. Bedtime!!! That pillow will feel extra special tonight.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Car Wash Mike,
    yea, i just kind of roll them around in the oil so they are well coated, then sprinkle on the kosher salt, ragin river, or whatever else suits your tastes (not too heavy mind you)... .i don't cut them open though. ..figure there is enough stuff on the outside to suit our tastes. . [p]while i'd like to say this was my creative juices flowing i kind of got the idea from eating at outback steakhouse, where you get the 'jacketed' baked potatoes. . .finally figured out that this is basically what they do (i.e. rubbing them in salt). . .[p]glad to see so many spud lovers out there. . ..

• Nature Boy,
    been there done that (sort of). . .i've done potatoe slices direct (rubbed with olive oil of course and salt) like them a little thick (1/4 inch), and they do come out nice (and its a nice presentation as well with the grill marks and all). . .i'll have to try them w/ raging river this way as well. . .you need big 'bakers' for this though, i don't think i'd do it with the smaller yukons. . .[p]now try this. . .do the same thing with sweet potatoes (yams). . .cut into 1/4" slices, rub with olive oil (i wouldn't use salt on these),and grill direct (about 10 minutes per side). ..damn things are so soft and they taste like candy. . .careful though, with all their natural sugar, they will burn if you don't pay attention. . .and again, i'll bet the raging river, with its sweetness, would be good on them as well. . .[p]yummy. ...one more thing to try out