Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Pork Chops

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been wanting to do some of these, but didn't want to buy the premade ones at Publix. Anybody have suggestions so I can do them myself? Also, please give your recommended dome temp and how long to cook for, direct or indirect, etc......[p]Thanks,
QBabe
:~)

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    QBabe,
    It's not "really" stuffed, but what I like to do is buy thicker chops (about 1 inch), and cut a pocket in them. Fill the pocket with juniper berries, stitch shut with butcher twine, and season the outside with salt, pepper and dill weed. To serve, remove the twine and scrape out the juniper berries. (This also works good using two thin chops, and the presentation is prettier.) I like a nice slow cook, around 225° for 30 to 40 minutes, with apple or cherry flavor wood.[p]Let us know what you end up doing.[p]Ken

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    QBabe,
    I have cooked stuffed pork chops a few times.Get 1 3/4" to 2" thick chops.With a sharpe knife slice a nice pocket.Brown in frying pan 1/2 pound of Jimmy Dean sausage with sage,1/2 cup onions,1/2 apple chopped in 1/4 "squares and a hand full of mushrooms chopped.When these ingredents are about 3/4 done stuff chops and cook on egg at 350° until the internal temp reaches 145°.It will take about 35 to 45 minutes.[p]Larry

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    How many juniper berries? I keep promising myself that I'm going to order some and try it. [p]Thanks!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    You want enough to make a "one berry thick" layer. Don't know how many that would work out to... Hey, email me before you order berries.[p]Ken

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Sounds interesting....BTW, do you have juniper berries in your Wicked Grin rub? There is something in there that "melts" to a beautiful purplish color and wondered if they would do that? That is one YUMMY rub! I've tried it now on chicken breasts and yesterday was on spare ribs. The chicken breasts were good, but the ribs were excellent (a little overcooked, but that was my fault!).[p]When ordering juniper berries, are you getting them dried or fresh? [p]Tonia
    :~)

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    QBabe,
    No juniper berries were harmed in making Wicked Grin. The color/flavor comes from elderberries.[p]I used to dry my own juniper berries, then I started to worry that since they came from my - residential area - junipers they might have an unhealthy hit of urban pollution. I'm using dried, now, from my regular spice merchant.[p]Ken