Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What\'s a good burger to you?

Options
AzScott
AzScott Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been on a big burger kick lately and for lunch I've tried around 6 different places that are highly rated on Yelp in the past several weeks. I think I've had two good burgers and 4 mediocre to poor burgers. A burger I had today was fresh as could be with great lettuce, onion, tomato, pickles, but wayyyy too much mayo. So much so that it soaked the bottom bun and it fell apart on me. I'm searching for a great burger but haven't found it yet. I'm intentionally not having one on the Egg till I try about 5 more places and then it will be heaven once again when I make one on the Egg.

What makes a great burger to you? Fried or grilled? Smoked? Toppings? Etc?

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Scott, there is a great little restaurant in Scottsdale called "Fusion", and they have a happy hour with the BEST burger I have ever had in my life.
    I copy and pasted the review on it. It would be well worth your time to go there and try it. You can't beat the price either. The burger can easily feed 2 people.
    BTW-They have a pretty amazing mac'n cheese too!!

Here's the review....
    The Gladiator burger - a 10-ounce behemoth of Australian Kobe beef, peppered bacon, Jack and Cheddar cheeses and caramelized jalapeños and onions, finished with red-chile cheese sauce - is delish at any price ($11). Ditto for smoky chorizo mac and cheese, a creamy melange of cheeses, chipotle, green chile and grilled red onion($6).
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    My favorite is the "Gebby Burger". Here's the background and the method. Again they may sound weird, but once you've egged these you'll be a believer!
    My thread:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=449041
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I just love vidalia onions chopped up, pig candy, Worcestshire Sauce and KC Masterpiece built into my burgers.
    vdburger4.jpg

Mike
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I made a kickass burger tonight with tuna it was awesome.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Scott, in the food court in one of our malls down here is a franchise called Great American Burger, Its just a griddle cooked burger with fresh veggies, but it is really good. Also, we went to the Restaurant Depot on west Baseline last week, way cool place. -RP
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Gator Bait posted these and look great. Iknow of at one other that tried them and loved them.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=610827&catid=1#
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I agree that tuna burger looks great. I just got your email with the ingredients. Thanks so much for taking the time to send it. I'm anxious to try this one.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I tried them and loved them (and posted about it).

The second time I tried it, I used less onions and mushrooms, and about the same amount of spice, and put the cheese on top instead of inside. The whole family went absolutely nuts for them.

These are now a go to favorite for the family and friends.

Richard
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    My favorite restaurant burger is Fudruckers (as long as the teeny bopper doesn't overcook it) I just like grilled onions, pickles, ketchup, and mayo.

I made some out of sirloin and was about the best ever. Egged of course.
  • AzScott
    Options
    Thanks for the Fusion recommendation. I'll be sure to go up there and try it when I go to Delux.

Randy, is that place like Johnny Rockets? I saw your post about RD. Looks like you made a pretty good haul. Next time you come up give me a call and we'll go do some RD damage and grab a bite.

That Gebby Burger sounds awesome! I just did a quick Google image search and didn't find anything. I'll have to look some more.

I love tuna burgers......running off to look for that post.

I made the mistake of buying the book "Hamburger America" with the DVD. If you don't have it it's worth it. Now I'm daydreaming of frying a burger in fat, putting peanut butter on them, etc. There's one burger that's called the butter burger with about a 1/4 stick of butter on there that looked incredibly indulgent. Yeah, it's one of the fattiest, gross things I've ever had. It was just too much and I hope Bekke doesn't come on here and see I tried it.
  • AzScott
    Options
    Mike, that pig candy sounds good. Brains churning.....
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Only 1 favorite...

Takeout and such. In and Out. AB's (take off of the old Big Boy of 40 years ago.

My own...

Ranch burgers, egg burgers, pastrami burgers, Buckboard Bacon Burgers (thanks for the idea Mark) and sausage burgers.

Use hamburger, ground chuck or a mix of the two and at least 15% to 20% fat - never lean.

Take the meat and put on some Worcestershire (a fair amount), salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. (instead of onion powder sometimes mix chopped onion in the meat.

Use that burger like it is or take the amount of meat divide in half. Press out the two 1/2 pieces. On the bottom half put some pepperjack or any other type cheese you like then put the other 1/2 on the top. Seal the sides - pinch together.

Finish off however you like.

Don't smash the burger when cooking.

Ranch burgers - use the burger as above (either way) make some cowboy beans (thirdeye's cowboy beans work well) or just pork and beans.

Bottom bun, burger, nice slice of cheese, a couple of strips of bacon, some onion (even if in the burger) cover with cowboy beans, then the top bun toasted of course.

As usual everything done the egg just tastes better.

Now it's time to cook some burgers.

GG
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    AzScott wrote:
    What makes a great burger to you? Fried or grilled? Smoked? Toppings? Etc?

1. Moist
    2. Not overcooked
    3. Grilled/smoked
    4. Not domed (I press down the center of the burger a bit so when it swells in cooking the final shape is more or less flat).
    5. Not a mini-meat loaf; if it's gonna be a burger it shouldn't have tons of other stuff in there.
    6. I think 1/3 pound pre-cooked is about as large as a burger should be to be practical and taste its best.
  • Good burgers can only start from good beef. The best way to get good beef is to grind it yourself. The best ratio for great ground beef is about 65% lean and 35% fat. Remember, fat is flavor. "The whiter the meat, the tastier the burger". Get some real fat in there!

10MVC-011E.jpg

Cook your burgers to a finish temp of no more than 125 internal over the tip of the flame from a lump fire. For a 1/3 to 1/2 pounder, this is about 3-4 minutes a side.

Leave all the salad, bacon, mushrooms, and whatever off the damn burger...and place it on a grilled bun and take that first bite and just savor all that wonderful and flavorful juice that will squirt into your mouth from a real Fatburger. Never hide the flavor with a bunch of salad and other crap!! Eat it on the side.

And that's Dipstick's idea of a great burger.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Mike, never thought about using pig candy on or in a burger...sounds like a great idea! Will be trying that! :woohoo:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Scott,

Worcestershire and dehydrated onions. Angus extra lean sirloin with a one to four mix of ground pork.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AzScott
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! Grandpa's Grub, are you saying the old Bob's Big Boy burger is like the Animal Burger at In and Out? I have fond memories of that burger as a kid and will have to give In and Out another go.

I agree with most of you. I love simplicity in a burger and find the meat should be the focus followed by the bun.

Steven, does the 20% ground pork make that much of a difference? I'll have to try it.
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    I love burgers on the Egg, and we all have our quirks and likes.

As for grabbing something quick? If you have a 5 guys in town, then you are very fortunate. Unless you own a different burger joint within 10 square miles.

Just my opinion though.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    While on a business trip a year ago, I stumbled upon an article in GQ magazine "20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die" (link below). Number 1 on the list was the sirloin burger at Le Tub in Hollywood FL. As I was headed to Ft. Lauderdale on this trip I decided that I must go. The wait on a Tuesday night was an hour, and the restaurant is decorated with toilets at planters. Needless to say it was a pretty funky place. The burger was terrific, but I wouldn't describe it as better than the one I made last night (ground sirloin stuffed with pepperjack, wrapped in thick sliced bacon, topped with DP Red Eye Express, and sauced with Blues Hog the last 15 minutes). :woohoo:

http://men.style.com/gq/features/full?id=content_2526
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Scott,

In Canada ground beef is graded as extra lean, lean medium and regular. There isn't enough fat in the top two to give the meat much moisture. You can't really taste the pork but it adds moisture. The dehydrated onions wick up a lot of it too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Just a burger. No additives to the meat...no cheese...no nothing but meat, bread, lettuce, pickles, onions, mustard, catsup and sometimes mayo.

Mike

burgerIMG_1945.jpg
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I have a simpler answer -- a good burger is the one I am eating at the moment -- even Micky D's.

No question the Egg improves things....
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Here's a seared burger. Tom SteakShake6.jpg
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Yeah, baby, that looks super!

The best I've had at a restaurant was at a chain owned by Ted Turner called "Ted's Montana Grill." It had guacamole and jalapenos on it and it was just excellent.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Interesting article, Roudy, tnx for the link.

One of the better BBQ shacks here in Charleston, Melvin's out on Folly Rd, has proudly framed on the wall a mention that Emeril made in a Playboy magazine interview where he named their cheeseburger as the best in America. This c-burger is all meat, seasoned, with plain cheddar on top, cooked in the same smoker they use for their pork.

A little touch of hickory love makes everything better!
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Hey, Dipstick, what cut of beef do you start with when grinding? Would a London Broil or chuck roast be a good choice? How do you control the fat proportion?
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I've eaten at a Ted's in KC. They do make a good burger.
  • R&R Futures Trader
    Options
    If you dine out, Ted's Montana Grill. They have the best burgers I have ever run across. Choice of Beef or Bison. I think there are over 50 of them in the East. When I'm in our Atlanta office, I always eat lunch there. There maybe more expensive burgers, but none better.

http://www.tedsmontanagrill.com/
  • AzScott
    Options
    I did something I may regret last night. I had the fat trimmings from 4 pork belly's so I decided to render it. Now I'm going to try and fry a burger in the pork fat this weekend. Yeah, I'll be going running this weekend. Kind of like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URM04TnbIr4

I'll finally figure out how to post a picture and let you know how they turn out.
  • AzScott
    Options
    That Ted's looks pretty good!