Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium fire ring used as lump reducer for XL?

Options
florida Nick
florida Nick Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys,
I should be getting my XL any day now. I know that tjv has had some luck with creating a lump reducer that is about the same size as the medium grate. So I was wondering if buying a medium replacement fire ring and setting it down in the fire box to be used as a lump reducer would work? My thouhts are that the ceramic fire ring would be able to corral and insulate the lump for maximum efficiency.
TJV I would be greatfull to hear your thoughts on this (we spoke on the phone a couple weeks ago and you were very helpfull in my decision to go for the XL over the L, I have since changed my handle, was eggcited!)
Of course I would be happy to hear everyones advice, thoughts, and opinions on this.
THanks
NIck

Comments

• Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    I have owned an XL for the last 3years and have always kept about 4 inches of lump in it for everyday cooks when I'm done I close the the damper, the lump goes out to be used another day so you use just use what you need from cook to cook, adding as you go. I have never experinced carry-over tastes from prior cooks. IMHO an additional fire ring is just another thing to mess with, there are much cooler things to trick the EGG out with.
    FireWalker
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    My 1st concern is the fact that ceramics are heavy. Adding the weight of the medium fire box to the bottom of the XL could cause problems that I would discuss with BGE before attempting.
    The 2nd concern would be airflow. Now you are trying to get air through two fire box configs.
    The 3rd is the fact that ceramics are breakable. This adds one more piece to your BGE that you have to handle and store with care as not to break.
    Just a couple things to think about.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    the first couple times I did this I used my large fire ring. No problem it works fine but as metioned it is heavy and if mishandled can break. I prefer to use something that can take abuse and is easy to move. Not sure what a medium fire ring cost but it should work. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • florida Nick
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts guys.

tjv, I wasn't sure if the medium or the large ring would work better. I was basically just going off the size that I thought you were making your reducer ring. Is your reducer ring ready for purchase yet or are you still in the testing phase?
    Thanks
    Nick
  • tjv
    Options
    The reason why I made the lump reducing ring is simply to shrink the size of the xl on grilling cooks for my family of three. It's a simply process of matching the fire to the size of the cook.

I can do three steaks, a package of brats, abts or a spatchcock chicken over a controlled fire - pile the lump high for high heat or shallow for medium/low heat on a small cook. I like not having to worry about accidently igniting the entire firebox.

Ironically, the hardest decision is/was to determine the diameter of the ring - settled on the 15 inch size as good match for the family and our preferred grilling methods. Plus, matches BGE's medium grid assortment.

With the lump, most of the time, I'll just scoop the used lump outside the ring and dump it in the ring. Takes about 20 minutes to get a good steak fire going with dome open. Really like grilling in a weber kettle. tom
  • tjv
    Options
    still testing, feel free to email me off the forum if like: acgpinc@verizon.net. t
  • Pitmaster
    Pitmaster Posts: 74
    Options
    I do the same as Fire Walker. I have no problems with that way. Also note that you control the temp with the daisy wheel and the draft door. I think people are making it more complicated than it needs to be. I cook at 225-250 for low and slow, and at 450-500 for pizza. I grill anywhere from 300-400 depending on what I am cooking. When I am done cooking I shut down the daisy wheel (actually I put the DW inside and use the ceramic top on the chimney) and close the draft door. I have plenty of charcoal left and then just top it off the next time. It's not science folks. This is as old as man, just improved to be more efficient.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I believe you are missing the goal of this project.
    By using a smaller, contained batch of lump we can "grill" with the dome "open" and have the ability to move food from searing temps to lower grilling temps around the front and edges of the egg. The 24" cooking area of the XL makes this ideal. This adds more cooking options and also makes it ideal for smaller cooks.
    This is not about controlling low and slow cooks or the ability to snuff a fire and save lump.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Pitmaster
    Pitmaster Posts: 74
    Options
    I grill with the dome closed. I think you missed the point of when the egg was designed.
  • florida Nick
    Options
    Photo Egg,
    what you said is exactly why I'm interested in a lump reducer.

Pitmaster,
    One of the greatest things about the egg is its versatility. As I'm sure Photo Egg does, I would love the ability to grill both with the dome opened and with the dome closed, as well as to be able to grill and have the options as he describes them in his post.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Nick