Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket blown

Options
KcLeaf
KcLeaf Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Second time using the medium and the gasket failed.
Yesterday Chicken low 300 today ribs according to the book. temp 325 like it said , place setter, etc opened it up to take off and wrap and the bottom gasket is loose.
I just got it. I read the posts, prior to buying I know I am whining. but I thought I'd get at least a couple of cooks out of it. I didn't do anything high heat This is very disappointing for a grill/smoker et, al, that costs this much.
Great food fun but this is depressing, what is the spare they sent with the unit.,, felt. What does nomex look like. Just not happy.

Comments

• Tenn Smoker
    Tenn Smoker Posts: 123
    Options
    I know the feeling but the dissapointment goes away with the next cook. My dealer gave me a new felt gasket which I put on in 10 minutes and one stiff drink cooked on it that night, you are not suppose to do that. Also BGE is sending me the Nomax/Nomex gasket. You should be able to get the same treatment from both. Search the Nomax/Nomex gasket and you will see pictures. Hope this helps.
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    If your spare is the grey felt then it is not Nomex. The nomex gaskets are white.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    klf84 wrote:
    what is the spare they sent with the unit.,, felt. What does nomex look like. Just not happy.

I have had great success in using the felt replacement with SUPER 77 adhesive. It has lasted a couple of weeks now with no signs of coming off.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • KcLeaf
    Options
    so in a short time i have read about the nomex, So can I call and get some? Will they charge me? What is BGE's official answer to this problem not that it matters.
    It also appears that even the nomex when applied with the self adhesive has failed. Based on reports one of the better options is to use nomex and apply the super 77?
    Do you apply this over the self adhesive nomex. Do they send you nomex with no adhesive?
    Anybody have the number, I suppose it is some place in the info.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Call this Number (770)938-9394 and talk to them dirrectly.Ask for the Nomex without addhesive :)
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    I've had mine for about nine months and several times I had to fix loose gaskets. Last night i got fed up with my upper gasket and ripped it off. I have to try a low temp cook to see if it will work. I really don't want to replace the upper gasket if I don' have to.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Your gasket didn't fail, the adhesive failed. Known issue for the lat 6 months. Simply pull off the backing and keep the gasket. Get a can of 3M 77 and put gasket on paper, spray the gasket and put it back on. Done in about 10 minutes.
  • KcLeaf
    Options
    interesting, if the top is good, fix bottom, only.
    thanks for post on nomex w/o. If they were opened now I'd call.
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    nomex
    010109008.jpg
    12508003.jpg
    you will need this to install
    123108011.jpg
  • KcLeaf
    Options
    kind of dark I understand about the adhesive versus the actual gasket, What do you mean about putting it on paper. Just to keep it clean I assume. I am sure there is a post some where but do I scrape it off, use any type of cleaner. It sounds like alot of you have been down this road before. I could spend hours looking. Just to frustrated.
  • KcLeaf
    Options
    ok i am stupid but what are the screws for, the bands, Do i have take them off to do this.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I actually sprayed the Super 77 into a cup and painted it on the egg with a disposable foam brush. Worked pretty slick. Just don't leave the Super 77 in the cup on your kitchen table and walk away for 15 minutes...bad news.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I know the feeling. I lost two gaskets on my Large and one on my Medium all in the first few months. My dealer has been great. Came to my house to install the nomex and there was no charge. Chim-Chimney's in League City, TX rocks! So far so good on the nomex.

THE IMPORTANT thing to remember is that it cooks fine without the gasket so don't let it stress you so much. (I was the same way when I lost my first gasket so I am not scolding.) Many people on here haven't had a gasket in years and have no complaints. I did plenty of cooks in between gaskets and honestly couldn't tell any difference. I suppose the vents have to be ever so slighty more closed to reach the same temp, but since you're not used to yours anyway you won't notice. In my opinion, the only reason to have a gasket is to help it shut down faster and preserve more lump. That I could tell a slight difference.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i would be p!ssed too.

it's a sacrificial item, but you shouldn't have to replace it after cook #2...

let the dealer know. ask for the nomex. if they give you a blank stare, call BGE and ask how you can get a nomex.

you can still cook, in the mean time. but your disappointment is understandable
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    true. it was his glue that failed, not the gasket.
    the felt can melt at super high temps, bu the loose gasket is almost always glue failure (the adhesive tape)...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante