Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo Chops

Lab Rat
Lab Rat Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm sure someone has already done this, but thought I'd post my results.

The other day I was in the mood for pork chops AND buffalo chicken wings so I combined techniques and made "Buffalo Chops".

First I got "Lefty" going:

052.jpg

Then grilled the chops on the cast iron grid:

055.jpg

054.jpg

Prepared the buffalo sauce (butter garlic, hot sauce, lemon pepper and Swamp Venom):

057.jpg

After a quick dip in the sauce, returned to the grill:

058.jpg

Ready to go:

060.jpg

They turned out really good but to get the full effect we spooned additional buffalo sauce onto the chops at the table. Next time I think I'll marinate in a 50/50 mix of hot sauce and buttermilk prior to grilling (ala Emeril).

John

Comments

• Looks great - the hot sauce and buttermilk marinade sound interesting, also.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    I like the idea. Wings are high in cholesterol so I shouldn't have them very often.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That's how I marinate my chicken fingers. Tobasco and buttermilk. Way yummy!
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • looks great. I'm gonna save this one for a future cook. Thanks.

BTW, are those both larges or mediums? Can't tell from the pic.
  • Lab Rat
    I've done it a few times. When I made it at home it smelled and tasted good enough to eat as a (very spicy) cold soup!

Emeril did it for chicken pieces before battering and deep frying.
  • Are you rtiles holding up well to the heat (under the eggs)? Any problems with ash cleanout with your setup?

Carpenter starts in the next few weeks on my screened porch, including counters to house a large and "Future" small. I only have about 66" total width (left wall to right post) for the main counter and both eggs. Was planning to have them sitting open like yours. Also have a counter coming out 90% on the right, similar to yours that will give me more space.
    Anything you would change in hind sight?
    Also thinking of a cabinet under the small to house a small shop vac.
    Thanks for ideas.....
    /Clark
    Madison, MS
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Hey John! Those look fantastic! Also, I've saved your 1st pic as a favorite calling it 'SWEET BGE setup' for future reference!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Interesting idea. I have pork steaks in the freezer and one could be set for buffalo style next time I cook them up.
    Also, I like your outdoor kitchen. Really nice.
    Not a big fan of enclosing the egg into a table but having them out on disply like yours is nice to see. :cheer:
  • Lab Rat
    Tiles are holding up well, but I'll probably have to do some re-grouting this year. When I did the original tiling and grouting (first time ever for me) it was about 90 degrees and the grout mix was setting up too quickly. Had I been more experienced I would have watered it down a little.

My open space where the eggs sit is almost 51 inches wide.

If I had to do it over again I would construct the back splash and the back panel out of frame and plywood. Both are solid wood (2x4 on the right and a 2x12 along the back). The solid wood ( in my opinion) has a tendency to contract and expand more than plywood.

Here are a few photos during construction:

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01628.jpg

DSC01666.jpg

Something to think about is the dead space that is created at the back of a corner. I kitchens this is usually resolved with a lazy susan. In my set up, the left corner stores stuff I rarely need because it's such a pain to get to. On the right side I installed a door on the outside (opening is visible in the third photo) to access the space. That's where I store my charcoal.

Another thing to keep in mind is the additional thickness of the layered materials - height and width. My table was "perfect" before I added the concrete backerboard and the tile. The additional material made it a little higher than I wanted and reduced the opening for the eggs.

I clean my eggs out with a shop vac. As far as I'm concerned it's the only way to go. I NEVER use my ash tool.

John
  • Lab Rat
    Thanks! I got a lot of inspiration from SSN686's design.
  • Lab Rat
    I agree about having them out for display. Like I responded to Tractor, I got a lot of inspiration from SSN686's design.

The other advantage is that if/when I need to move them it's going to be a heck of a lot easier!

John
  • Lab Rat
    Another thing I would do different:

I made the tile surfaces too level! If I was to do it again I would but a little slope on them so that they would drain water off the front.
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Nice chops and your outdoor kitchen looks great.