Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornell Chicken revisited

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cornell%20setup.jpg
<p />Here are two pictures of my Cornell chicken setup for 350 degrees.
Cornell%20Chicken%20on%20Grill.jpg

Comments

• char buddy
    Options
    Char Buddy,[p]Awhile back Q.N.E.Tyme had a bad experience with a cornell chicken cooked at 350º. The temps got out of control and the chicken came out chalky and vinegary. [p]When I do cornell chickens (CCs) low and slow (250º) I do them on a direct set up and I flip and baste them five times over a 3 hour cook. I figured that higher temp cook would work the same way only faster.[p]It turns that a raised grid direct set up doesn't work at a higher temp just like Q.N.E.Tyme said. The basting liquid promotes flare ups and it really is hard to control the cook. [p]I did these chickens on a raised grid indirect set up with a drip pan.
    the results were much better. I keep the temp at 300º (with the help of a number 7 temp ring) and I was able to baste and flip to my heart's content without flareups and temp spikes. It took almost an hour and half to get the thigh to 180º.[p]The results were somewhat similar to the results I got at low temps. The skin wasn't as dark or as crispy as I like. The vinegar taste was there but under control. The texture was juicy - almost too juicy for my taste.[p]Again Q.N.E. Tyme got it right and I think I found a fix. I think I'll stick with the low and slow version (three hours or more), but it's nice to know that a speeded up version works too.[p]The Cornell Chicken recipe is listed in the new recipe section, but I will have to modify the higher temp version.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    ExtendedBrickSetup.jpg
    <p />Mr Biddy.
    Good shots, and it looks like you musta had fun doing it too!! Just a tidbit of unsolicited info here. I see your big fat firebricks might be getting in the way a tad. Consider breaking that thing into three pieces, and using a setup like this. Works great for me.[p]Thanks for posting your results! Looks like something worth trying.
    Beers pal!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • char buddy
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Dude - see ya next weekend. If anybody doing overnight cooks at Liberty Bell is interested, there's a place not to far away where you can play volleyball all night long - indoors, or outdoors on sand. I would advise doing your beers after you play volleyball, but then again maybe a few beers might help my game.[p]CB