Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcock temp

Options
proudpapa56
proudpapa56 Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Evening All,
When spatchcocking, the Naked-Whiz site recommends 350 for a 3-4 lb bird. If cooking bigger birds would you bring the temp down a bit? Would the timing be any different? I'd like to try some 7-8 lb birds and don't want the legs, wings to overcook before the rest is done.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I generally cook mine at 400 dome temp, indirect for around 1.25 to 1.5 hours until the thigh is 180 meat temp. I find the chicken a little better even if the breast hits 180 also. Once I am at meat temps I pull out the platesetter and cook the chicken direct for 2 minutes a side to crisp up the skin.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I'd keep the temp the same. Just cook longer. Cook till the leg and thigh joints are loose.
  • jeggmister
    Options
    Ah , my favorite meal :P

After trial and error approach my best is
    Mild smoking wood to taste, raised grid
    direct at 300 degrees. When breast reaches
    170 remove chicken to cutting board, Cut off leg and thigh portion. ( Skin is only thing connecting these after spatchcocking!) Return leg and thighs to grill and open it up for 15 - 20 minutes.
    End results are
    Nice smokey taste *direct,raised an 300
    Juicy white meat * 170
    Well done thighs * returned to fire
    Crispy legs * increase temp
    Only downside to this method is you miss the whole bird presentation!
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    425 to 450 indirect with drip pan, skin side up until internal temp hits 168. After spatchcocking the bird lift the skin by working your fingers under the skin, under skin herb butter is optional. Perfect bird everytime, no flipping no basting just set and wait for the temp alarm.
    FireWalker