Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New table

TripmakerTripmaker Posts: 124
edited 11:51PM in EggHead Forum
I made a new table out of massaranduba which is a Brazilian redwood. Now I don't have to hike out to my barn to cook.
album_pic.php?pic_id=48281

Penoflin penetrating oil finish brought out the grain and beauty of the wood.
album_pic.php?pic_id=48282
·

Comments

• Beautiful! I love it. Is that a natural color or a stain?
    ·
  • Very nice!
    ·
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    awesome!
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,649
    Beautiful! Love those tires.
    canuckland
    ·
  • TripmakerTripmaker Posts: 124
    Thanks guys. That is the natural color of the wood. It is a very hard and dense wood. A belt sander will barely scratch it and it takes some time and effort to sand away material.
    ·
  • EggtuckyEggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Trip, beautiful job..love the color and grain of that wood! ;) ..thanks for sharing those
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,400
    That table sure is purty!! Great job done. I'll take one.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • Woody69Woody69 Posts: 360
    Looks good. I have never heard of that wood before, but I like it.
    I would go ahead and put the feet between your egg and the paver though.
    ·
  • devmodedevmode Posts: 68
    Nice wood ... love the natural color
    ·
    A guy has to be proud of his wood. On a more serious note what is the advantage to having the feet under the egg?

Again thanks for your thoughts about my wood, er I mean my table. I wonder how long it will stay that pretty?
    ·
  • Tenn SmokerTenn Smoker Posts: 123
    Hey tripmaker,

How many drill bits and broken screws did you go through. I built a deck & screened porch out of that wood. Hard is an understatement.
    ·
  • Woody69Woody69 Posts: 360
    The feet will give it a little air flow between the egg and paver. There have been pics posted of burnt tables from the heat transferred through the paver without the feet, especially with high heat cooks. Better safe than sorry.... B)
    ·
  • Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 147
    Very nice job! Looks great!
    ·
    Tenn, I broke several drill bits until I went and bought some good ones. Even with new sharp bits I had some smoking wood, it's close to drilling through steel. Bits from Harbor Freight are useless. I used stainless steel screws and several broke off. I hope the hardness of the wood is equal to it's longevity and ability to stand up to the elements.
    ·
    Joe,

How long ago did you build your deck and how is it looking after time? I'll bet that wood made for a beautiful deck.

Jim
    ·
    Tripmaker, you are suppose to use something on the cut edges and screws to seal it back. Forgot what its called but if you did not do that you may want to research it. It will really warp and discolor if not done right. I did the deck and porch on a spec home several years ago and never saw it again.
    ·
    Also I believe it was RRP who mentioned that the block under the egg will draw moisture and when heated by the egg the block will crack or explode, soooo I put the feet between the block and egg not a great fit but I will redo one day.

002.jpg
    ·
  • Joe, just curious, did you buy that table or build it yourself? Reason I ask is I just purchased a cypress table today on Ebay (at a great price I might add!) that looks to be constructed identical to yours.
    ·