Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

surveyor
surveyor Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone: It's been a long time since I have been on. I am just wondering if anyone has tried making pizza using a heavy pizza shop pan. I usually just make it on a big green egg cooking stone but wondering about trying something different

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Funny you mention that. I just read that if you don't have a pizza stone to turn over a cast iron pan and use that for your pizza. Sounds like it will work.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    The stone is my first choice and for a slight change I will use a pizza screen screen.The metal pan tends to make a more well done bottom crust than what I like.
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Thanks I think that I will try using the pan today. I don't really know if I am going to try to heat the pan first or just put it all together and then put it on the preheated stone.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Just remember a cast iron skillet is a whole lot thicker than the pan.Pre heating will not be necessary.
  • UKMatt
    UKMatt Posts: 113
    surveyor wrote:
    Hi everyone: It's been a long time since I have been on. I am just wondering if anyone has tried making pizza using a heavy pizza shop pan. I usually just make it on a big green egg cooking stone but wondering about trying something different

For something different you could try no stone at all :)

I made some thin crust pizzas this week directly on the grill - thin crust home made dough thrown directly on the grill with no toppings until the underside is nicely browned. Remove from egg, turn over, add sauce, cheese and pre-cooked toppings to the browned side.

Return to the egg and cook until bottom is done and cheese is melted.

This results in a super fast, very thin, smoky pizza.

I think I ran the egg at 450 or so and tried to make sure the coals were well lit and spread out to avoid hot spots.

HTH
    UKMatt