Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with flour storage

AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made my first trip to Restaurant Depot today. I was hoping to get a 25 lb bag of hi-gluten flour. Unfortunately all they had were 50 lb bags. I was planning on putting some in zip lock bags in the freezer. Is this ok to do? Or does it need to be in paper sacks. -RP

Comments

• Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    What else did you get? Did you have fun?
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    I keep mine in Tupperware in the freezer without any problems. Ziplocks should be fine
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Bags will be fine. Did you like the store?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i ended up with the 25 lb bag yesterday i sent fidel a email. he actually told me to use a ziplock... i was thinking about using the foodsaver but decided that the flour was so fine i might suck some up into the motor.. i have not opened the bag yet but was planning on using the ziplock methoud ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• No Yolk
    No Yolk Posts: 42
    I would suggest both - the ziploc in a sealed container. The flour will take on a 'freezer' taste over time.

Have fun with the grankids this weekend!! We are gonna have fun with ours, too!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    cool + dark + air tight Randy. It should last a year. You just need to protect it from humidity, bugs, and rodents and it will be fine.

I have mine in tightly sealed tupperware style buckets in the basement.
  • Definately freeze it. That will keep the weevils from hatching. :ohmy:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    It's bagged and in the freezer, I'll post my trip report on the RD visit a little later. -RP
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I dont think you have to freeze it...put it in 5 gal well cleaned and dried lard buckets that seal up air tight and put in a place that doesnt have large swings in temp or humidity and should be good for a long time...hundred years ago..who had freezers to keep flour in? ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    To quote Bart Simpson, "Ay Corumba!!!"

I'd start baking and cooking like crazy. :woohoo:

Gator
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Randy - Absolutely! That is the ONLY way to go! Zip locks, freezer, period. Just make sure when you need the flour, you take it out a day ahead. Even though it stays like a powder, all those little flour molecules are frozen. Give it a day to come to temp before you open that baggie, or you will have moisture differences.
    Michelle