Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring Butts

Options
Eggtucky
Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been a long cold winter and while I've done some butts over the winter..the freezer is empty of PP and jus now gettin to temps where I can put a couple butts on...mix up some refreshments and fire up a good cigar and sit on the porch while they smoke away...started these around 6pm tonight...hope to get em off mid day or so tomorrow..if I can help forgettin to take finishin pix..I'll post some of the out come...this is 2x 6lb butts..both rubbed with mustard, one with JH Pecan the other with Byron's Butt Rub...gonna be some good eats...

Still in the cryo...
MarButts_005.jpg

Ready to rub...
MarButts_006.jpg

Rubbed..
MarButts_007.jpg
and....
on the egg at 250 dome...
MarButts_008.jpg

Can't wait! Good Eats!

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Those would still be winter butts here. Calling for snow Saturday and next week. :evil: Golf league starts a week from Monday. :blush:
    Looks like you are off to a good start.
    Let us know if there is much different taste in the rubs with the finished product.

Mike
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Options
    Mr. Eggtucky you and I had the same idea!!! I've been out of pulled pork for some time and have been craving it (I've been trying to eat healthier and, well, I don't think pulled pork fits the bill). Anyway, I put four, yes four butts on the large around 7:00 pm this evening. I have the digi II hooked up with a grate temp of 235! Can't wait till tomorrow; hopefully, I'll remember to take pics.

Ed
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    hehe..will try to..but what i usually end up doing is pullin em both at the same time and they somehow end up in the same pot! :blink: :sick:
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    hehe..take some pix ed!..and jus remember..in my lifetime..the nutritionists change bout every 5 years what is and isn't healthy..not sure they know wth they are talkin bout!...anyways..moderation is the key..jus dont eat it all at once! ;) :P
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    How is that Pecan Rub, I have always wanted to try it, my buddy is doing his first butt tonight & he has a giant jar of it, & a few others, I urged him to try the pecan, heard a lot of good things about it
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    tell him to try it!..only thing is..it does have a lot of sugar in it..you'll notice that after putting it on the butt..the sugar will draw some moisture out of the meat and get all gooey...but cant go wrong with it! I use it when I'm doin 2 butts..I do one pecan and one byron's..then I usually end up mixin the meats after i pull them..the sweet in the JH really offsets the less sweet flavor of the Byron's nicely...
  • Tenn Smoker
    Tenn Smoker Posts: 123
    Options
    Eggtucky, if you were not so far away I bring a nice cuban and join you. Bout that time.
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    hehe..aye..come on up!..butts be ready bout the time you get here!..cuban sounds wonderful..gotta alec bradley fired up here :woohoo:
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Oh yeah, the spring BBQ bug has bitten in a bad way:)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    I got my two 8,Ib winter butts ready for Saturday
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    sweet!...me, Tn smoker and swib will be diggin in bout the time you put yours on! :) :woohoo: