Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick temp. control

O Day
O Day Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, I'm doing my first racks of babyback ribs. My question is.. Is there a reliable quick method to get the temp. down to 225 degrees (close top or bottom vents seperately, etc.?) I don't want to lose the coald altogether. I know the vents regulate heat, but it wants to hang at 300-350. Thanks.Steve

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    depending on lump humidity etc....

Crank down on the vents as you approach your temp. Don't go past and then try to dial back.

For me I do ribs at 250 dome. I find it easiest to hold 250 and the 25 degrees doesn't matter in the egg.

I have the lower vent open slightly and the petals on the daisy wheel cracked for 250
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    when it gets to 200 close the bottom vent down to a credit card thickness wide and leave the daisy holes open, as it just starts to pass 225, close the daisy holes to about half way and make tiny tiny adjustments to you lock in on your temp. each egg seems to act a little diffent and the lump and how much ash is in there effects things, the bottom vent may need to be open just a little more on yours or even a little less. the idea is to get it up to temp, but not over.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • chrisBBQ
    chrisBBQ Posts: 8
    I agree with previous post: It's easier to stop the temp from going over than to bring it back down from . Before I learned how to keep my egg temp low for bbq, a couple of times I have used a spray bottle with water to spray the lump to try and get the temp down. it sort-of works, but is not great, it tends to cause ash to come flying up into the cooking area.
  • Keving
    Keving Posts: 36
    I use a finger width on the bottom and open the daisy wheel about half open and it keeps at 250 until it runs out of lump.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    One thing I would add to the others is wind. If door is facing South and you have a spring South wind it will really play havac with normal setting. About the time you get it set the wind stops and there you go again.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Good point. Wind can help or hurt.