Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dr. BBQ'S ROOT BEER CARROTS

Okeejohn
Okeejohn Posts: 297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, those pics from the previous post started me thinking; so, when I got home I checked my book by Dr. BBQ and no Root Beer carrot recipe. Can someone please be kind enough to post the recipe so I can try it tonight. Thanks

Okeejohn :)

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I googled root beer carrots and came up with a really good sounding recepie by Rachel Ray.Sorry,don't have the link but it's the first recepie that pulls up when you google root beer carrots.Hope it helps. ;)
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    All Year Long Cookbook, pg 14.
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    That's great but I don't have the cookbook. Can you share the recipe with me if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.

Okeejohn
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Ray sells books with his recipes..it certainly wouldn't be right..or fair to him for a forum member to post his printed recipes here on the forum...maybe not even legal.....Don't ya think??? LOL
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Might want to check the local library or do a google search.

Not many things are complete originals, usually a take off from somewhere else. LOL

GG
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Darnoc posted on this at about 12:50 earlier today. Check it out.

Mike
  • JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    WessB wrote:
    Ray sells books with his recipes..it certainly wouldn't be right..or fair to him for a forum member to post his printed recipes here on the forum...maybe not even legal.....Don't ya think??? LOL

I disagree...If you buy the book...you can do whatever you want with it...including sharing recipes. I usually include the authors name when referencing one of his or her recipes just as a courtesy.

I personally believe Ray would be flattered... :)
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I do believe Ray has already stated his position on the matter..and I care to go no further with it..his recipes are all good and we own every book..with respect to him "I" will never post his recipes on a public forum..but to each his own... :)
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    You have to learn how to read because on the second page it states no part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission.
  • I mean no disrespect toward anyone here, only an attempt to educate a bit because Copyright violation is a pet peeve of mine.

Most people don't depend on their work being published to make a living. As a result, it's easy for those same people (99.9 % of America) to think that republishing someone else's work on the internet for free is somehow doing them a favor.

"It's great exposure for them" is often the reason they use for why they think it should be ok. Well, to quote a friend-"People die from exposure."

Posting stuff on the internet is publishing (or re-publishing in this case) so the author's permission is required and that would typically involve financial compensation.
  • Pitmaster
    Pitmaster Posts: 74
    That second page is in every book ever printed and is done so by the Publisher, not the author...however the author may not care if you use it. I bet you need to contact the publisher to do any "reproducing."
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i tend to agree. i have a frigging copyright clasue in my contract. but it doesn't do anything.

lawyers do, however.

there is a sad loophole in the copyright law about recipes, unfortunately. it is lawful (you can still be sued), but it is legal to snip out the list of ingredients and the method for preparing the food and publish it without committing infringement. is it right? that's debateable.

you can't republish the other work associated with it (like the good Dr.'s anecdotes and information behind the recipe origin, for example, or photographs. but it is technically legal to print the actual recipe itself.

of course, publishers have lawyers they like to send out with cease and desist orders...

this isn't stike's interpretation, by the way. there's a literal paragraph or two concerning recipes and formulas.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    the author of a work automatically retains copyright upon creation of the work, unless the work was done "for hire" like a ghost writer might. he doesn't choose to apply it or remove it unless there's some contract undoing it.

you need to explicitly give up copyright, like under a contract for example. even if the author doesn't care if you used it, it would still be infringement. it might go unenforced, but it would still be infringement (the parts that are copyrighted, that is).

you can't publish anything in that book without committing infringement, even if you make no money, and even if the author bumps into you at an eggfest and says "i really don't care".

as an illustrator, i abide people (other than clients) using my work to a certain extent. for one, it is publicity. but if someone were to use it for commercial gain, i would not be ok with that. technically though, it is all infringement (unless it meets "fair use" criteria, like a newspaper might).
  • stike
    he sure has. hahaha

it waters down the value, and his publisher has a few lawyers who might come knockin! publishers guard their stuff, they don't just print and bind and ship books to stores.

he's smart to guard against it. the copyright law has that tiny loophole, but it is quickly closed by guys in suits who have been doing this work for years.

the loophole isn't good for the cookbook author...
  • stike
    JD McGee wrote:
    WessB wrote:
    If you buy the book...you can do whatever you want with it...including sharing recipes.

You can do whatever you want with the book. But you can't do whatever you want with the intellectual property that is in the book.