Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket?

Options
GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After see topic- “Great job TJV for new Mini Woo!!” Wanted to get more info on the Rutland Gasket? Look's like you only need to install on base. I am going to replace my gasket this weekend on my XL BGE. I was planning to use the Nomex but it needs to be installed on both base & lid. The Rutland Gasket looks like a easier option. – Thanks
What did you use for your adhesive for Rutland Gasket? 3m Super 77

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I bought the mini used and the person who owned it before me had put on that gasket. However you can go to the naked whiz site and read about the Rutland gasket install.

Also, I received word from a fellow egger to use 600* RTV Silicone Gasket sealant. It goes by the Permatex brand name. You can buy it at a auto parts store.

Yes only apply this gasket to the base.

Also BGE does not recommend Rutland gaskets because of the fiberglass content...
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The Naked Whiz has details on his site -- in the FAQ's, I think.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    I'm no expert, buy Rutland specifically says not use their gaskets on the eggs and BGE corroborates this... They are not safe for food applications...
    That's why BGE sends Nomex gaskets as their replacement alternative.

cheers!
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I just did my large two weeks ago after five years of using felt which has only been replaced once on the bottom.I am very happy with the Rutland and the lid no longer makes a clank sound if I come down a little to fast with the lid.I used Permatex Ultra Copper and all is ok.Just remember to bunch up the gasket material before you lay it down.The Naked Whiz web site has precise instructions on the process.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i would start with rutland cement, rrp knows how to read the code on the cement to make sure it hasnt expired. i would start with that, it really holds on if its applied correctly. if it comes loose stick it back on with the high temp silicone.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    This is not accurate.

The statement is that the Rutland gasket has not been approved for use around food. There is a distinct difference between that statement and saying they are not safe. Just because some government entity has not given it the stamp of approval does not make it inherently dangerous.

Basically, the stance is that the gasket has not been tested for use around food and the company has no desire to undergo such testing since that is not the primary application of their product.
  • PWise
    Options
    I do not wish to start a confrontation regarding this.

I stand corrected, nevertheless, just after I had used my egg for the second or third time my felt gaskets were burnt, so I did some research. I emailed Rutland (won't name names) asking about the issue I was specifically told not to use it on the egg. Someplace else on the web (source might not have been at all official or trustworthy) I read that there were reports of carcinogens being released from the gasket at high temperature exposures used in commercial stoves. I know pretty much everything we eat (including smoke exposed and/or burnt meat protein) is in some degree carcinogen, but then I thought to myself "even if the source is not trustworthy, why expose myself and my family if BGE will happily send free of charge a Nomex replacement gasket?" and so I did. I sent an email to BGE and I promptly received in the mail a perfectly white (and allegedly safe) Nomex gasket, I live in Mexico, so had to look around a bit to get to a 3M Super77 can, but eventually I did. I haven't installed it yet as I found out during the time it took for the glue to get home, that the egg works perfectly fine without the gaskets. All I've seen is that, as some have mentioned, smoke escapes from between the lid, and unless you have a pet peeve about this, this is not to worry about...

As I said before I do not wish to start a confrontation about this. This is just my 2 cents..

cheers!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Dear troublemaker (LOL) are you going to make it to Austin for the fest?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• PWise
    Options
    hahahaha :woohoo: and I haven't had any tequila yet!... it's only 13:26 and still am at the office... damn... :pinch:

as of this moment all signs point to "yes"... I have no trouble being there that weekend... the missus still has to solve some issues at work to be able to skip friday... please understand... I have to drive 5 long hours to get there haha :whistle: ...
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    My medium required Rutlands on the top and bottom to provide enough seal. I used the adhesive included which has let go in places. I re-attached using Super 77. Next time I will use the hi-temp silicone. I also ran my torch over the gaskets after installed to burn off any exposed hairs. The gaskets perform well and get gunked up pretty fast eliminating any fiberglass exposure. If you worry about those things, do not install one!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i think they just dont want someone eating it, those gaskets are used on practically every boiler, wood stove, coal stove that us northerners have. breathing fibers and eating gasket is bad for you, but after it gets all gunked up with cooking grease i dont think its as much a concern health wise. i open my coal stove more than i open my egg and it was designed for high temp use. ;) i havent used a gasket in years its not needed like you said
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's not that they release carcinogens.... they are glass.

it's that they have fibers which are fragile and could (in theory) break off and get into food.

some here have alleged that the silicone gasket adhesive many rutland users have used gives off vapors of death and destruction. that may be where you heard the "releases carcinogens" thing.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PWise
    Options
    I've never seen one so I wouldn't assess if the fiberglass would go into food or not... The comments about the carcinogens might have come from the silycon, I wouldn't know haha... I just shared what I found out during my research.

cheers!!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    bet 3m glue releases carcinogens too.
    fukahwee maine

• PWise
    Options
    I'm sure it does... hahaha the can specifically advises against skin contact and states that the state of california bla bla bla has found it cause cancer or something like that...

BUT they don't advise agaisnt using it, because it's supposedly pretty safe once it cures...
    still I haven't found the need to replace the gasket... :whistle:

cheers!
  • Regis
    Regis Posts: 23
    Options
    On a lighter note.....I wonder how many people who oppose the use of the Rutland for safety reasons are smokers. :laugh: I'll bet there are a few out there.
  • BuffaloChip
    BuffaloChip Posts: 106
    Options
    I just installed the Nomex using high temp silicone last week. I only installed it on the dome and after a few adjustments it passes the dollar bill test. I put it on the dome thinking it may not get as much heat but may be completely wrong. At least the flames won't be lapping at it from under the plate setter which I believe that is how I burned up the second felt gasket. I can always add the base gasket if it compresses to the point it won't seal.

--Dave
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    That stuff melted through a plastic Dixie cup and onto my table leaving a nice red...now pink spot on the table! I bet there was definately some stuff in the air that day...besides all the f bombs I was throwing out!
  • stike
    Options
    again, though, please tell me how it is someone can be so worried about the gasket glue, but not worried about the carbon monoxide? people imagine things are far worse when they don't understand them. it's the things they understand that they dismiss. they've cooked a million times on the egg, never had a carbon monoxide issue (and they shouldn't because it's perfectly safe when well ventilated, like any charcoal cooker), and so that is a non-issue.

but ,see, the carbon monoxide can kill you TONIGHT. the glue, hypothetically, (since there's no evidence), might be harmful in twenty years or whatever. far more people will die from carbon monoxide this year than will die from their rutland gasket killing them

the reaction to the glue and gasket is out of proportion to the reality, but human being are generally not capable of assessing risk that way. we typically assess risk based on fear, not based on math

a person is far more likely to die coming home in their car with a rutland gasket in the bag on the seat next to them than they are dying from anything the rutland would do to them while using it on the egg.

remnds me of the guy who is afraid to fly, so he drives across country. he's not operating with any logic
  • stike
    Options
    ...sorry
  • stike
    Options
    the melting was from solvents, which are gone when it cures.

super 77 is nothing (when all is said and done) but natural latex rubber. the solvents and thinners make it sprayable.

fear of the unknown is a great thing to watch in action.

people are gonna get cancer from this or that. etc.

at some point it just becomes silly

when super 77 dries, it is virtually the same material as a condom, a toy balloon, or food service gloves. come to think of it, those things are all interchangeable.

hahaha
  • stike
    Options
    no kidding. :whistle:

or how many of them have a diet high in fat and red meat and drink alcohol... etc. etc..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Most should remember the Rutland Gasket posts of November/December '07.

There are a lot of folk who bash the possible health problems, there are others who are concerned, and there are those that make fun of both groups and like to bring up concerns over stuff like grease on the lump is more hazardous, but the don't mind smoking and such things like that.

However, back to the Rutland Issue. There are a lot of forum members using Rutland and love that solution.

I late '07' after reading all the posts for and against. I called BGE Service. I had some questions and got into a very detailed conversation with BGE personnel. There were two specific things told to me 'first hand':

Now... Don't Shoot the Messinger!!! :woohoo:

1. Do not use power tools, sanders, sand paper grinders, files, chisels and such to clean the gaskets off. Doing so will void the warranty.

2. Same conversation and again 'First Hand' to me. Rutland had told BGE, Rutland did not want their gaskets put on Eggs due to a specific health issues - danger to the fetus of pregnant women.

Before everyone jumps in on this. One forum member emailed Rutland directly. There were a few non responses from Rutland. Then there was a response or two saying they would get back to that member in a few days.

Finally, there was a response. In summary. Rutland [ul]denied[/ul] the fetus reference (my thoughts) understandable due to legal issues.

Again in summary, Rutland did say their gasket has been tested on stoves and some other heating items but not tested for food and did not recommend it being used on eggs. I can dig up the specific emails but I don't really see a need.

At that time (late'07) I was emailed by several people that were actually testing "a new gasket material" for BGE but that information was not to be repeated at that time.

Now we all know or should know, BGE has come out with Nomex as a solution. Thankfully, so far I haven't seen any non adhesive Nomex failures posted on the forum as of yet.

Nomex, Rutland, Cotronics, Silicone or no gasket - it's a free world so use what you like.

GG
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    so you'd rather be a guinea pig and take a chance? Would it really be worth it? Just a thought.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Honestly?

If you run from everything that "might" pose a "danger" to you, then you may as well live your life in seclusion.

Do you eat fish? What about the mercury?

What about the vapors you breathe when you fill your car?

Me, I'm not at all worried about it. To each his own. I just don't like to see a lack of a position translated into a defensive position. That's all. I'm a bit of a student of logic, sorry if I get taken out of context.
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    Look at the cotronics ceramic gasket.
    Their material data sheet show it to be non toxic.
    Also permatex hi heat was developed to work with sensitive emissions equipment. This means it is vapor free after cured.
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    Unfortunately it's not black or white. I'm not suggesting you run from everything.. However when there are "known" safer alternatives, then why not hedge your bets?

Yes I do eat fish (try to get wild when I can), but I don't ride my bicycle down the 401 Expressway (a little Canadian reference for the Canucks). It'd be hella fun! but just too much risk.

I'm new here, and not trying to pick a fight. Maybe I'm just ignorant as to the benefits of the Rutland Gasket vs say the Nomex one? It's all about risk/reward. If you get the Nomex one, will your Egg cook poorly? I'm assuming the Nomex gasket has been deemed "safe" around food by the powers that be (BGE, FDA etc).
  • PWise
    Options
    your egg will not cook poorly even WITHOUT a gasket... lots of fellas around here, including myself haven't replaced it because we don't see any need for it... yes, the lid "crashes" down if you let go too early (be careful) and yes, smoke filters out from the closure (if you don't have a pet peeve about this, it won't affect performance) I have done many 12-20 hour cooks like this without a guru or stoker and the temp has stayed rock stable...

my 2c

cheers!!
  • the old manual states that the gasket is for cushioning the dome. of course, i think some enterprising dude figured out that it can mae the egg airtight, and helps control airflow. but you can cook without it, too. the thing is 3000 years old. i dunno if they had gaskets then. hahaha

(stike)
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Not afraid of it. Just was amazed. In the cup it was nothing more that rubber cement. Once again, just the poster child for Murphy's Law. If its possible to screw something up. I'll find a way. :)