Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sardines? We don' need no...

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a result of WooDoggie's & my conversation earlier, I went out and bought some frozen smelts this afternoon. When I got them home I put them in a bowl of water to defrost, then drained and tossed them with olive oil, dried tarragon and salt. Put them in a throw-away aluminum foil pan at 650° and turned them when the "down side" began to crisp. 25 minutes later I had the nicest mess o' smelts I've had in a long time. Thanks, John. This is a keeper.[p]Ken

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Nice! Glad you had your smelt fix tonight..... I, however....[p]Called the local fishmonger today.... absolutely no sardines, fresh or frozen and had no idea when they would ever have them in again.
    He didn't know if he had smelts "maybe somewhere" in the back freezer but assured me he'd have plenty in fresh sometime in August..... and tried to ply with me with some other stuff I didn't want to make the hour round trip for.... so, Ken, glad you enjoyed your smelts tonight. [p]Just leftovers for me......... and a Yuengling. :~)[p]John

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Already planning a trip to my Japanese fishmonger - I think they have sardines year round. [p]Ken

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Interesting post; up here we dipnet smelt (called candlefish or hooligan) from small streams. The daily limit, I think, is 60 or so. I did this a few times, and did not care much for the texture, although the taste was very mild. I might pick up the net and try this recipe. Did you cook them on the BGE or just in the oven?

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,
    These were little, headless & cleaned guys. Did 'em on the Egg. Took half a pound for a single serving.[p]Ken