Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First CI burn

Susan Egglaine
Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a little grilled shrimp, using different spices. (Firewalk was the best) Wiped the grid with a little pam sprayed on a napkin. Tried to cook light. I have gained 10 pounds in the past month or so :sick: Imagine that :laugh: cooked at around 450

DSCN3293.jpg

Did not get the grill marks. Should I have had higher heat or what?

DSCN3294.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    To get those good grill marks you have to let the CI grid heat up longer than you are used to.

Be careful with it though, it can really get hot. Too heavy/thick grill marks are not good eats either.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I wouldn't worry to much about grill marks. Don't want that shrimp over cooking. ;)

sfest016.jpg

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Susan, great seeing you & Teresa again. I agree with Mike, save the gill marks for the steaks :woohoo:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I dunno Pat, a little char on shrimps can add a touch of beauty.

Done800.jpg
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Dang it Rod, now I gotta buy a CI for the small :angry: Nice pic. Sparky sent me one for the large, he hopes to be back online tomorrow night and wanted everyone to know he misses his family :(
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    susan it was great to meet you and Theresa and I loved the shrimp dishes you made.

We look forward to seeing y'all at Waldorf...grill marks or not...LOL
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    It was great seeing old friends and meeting new ones! I bought home at least 7 pounds of shrimp, a full bag of mussels not to mention the 4 pounds of smoked salmon & Jalapeno pimento cheese spread that I never got around to.
  • Hi Susan. If you don't have a Thirdhand from thirdeye yet, you'll want to put that on your list. It makes moving that heavy hunk of metal in and out of the Egg a breeze. I just got one on Monday and wished I hadn't waited so long. It's a great tool. Mark
  • JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Looks great! I did my first ci sear last weekend with some ribeyes...I love it! :)

IMG_6814.jpg

IMG_6815.jpg
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Hi Susan! Nice to type now with a face in mind! :)
    I agree with Rod...hotter grate for the sear. I treat my shrimp just like a steak...want everything good and hot! I would also recommend a brush of olive oil before the sear (just a brush, not a soaking). (No worries...olive oil is GOOD for you, and doesn't go directly to the hips!) :laugh: Shrimp has no fat for searing, so the addition of the fat/oil helps get color (without adding sugars...which DO go to the hips...) :woohoo: They still look great, though! :)
    It was wonderful to meet you both! Thanks so much for all the excellent food, especially at the afterparty!! :woohoo: You guys worked hard! Looking forward to seeing you both again!
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Nothin' does a steak like steak!!!!
    T-rex.jpg
    seartri.jpg
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Nice looking shrimp. I'll have to try them with Firewalk. Just did some with a little teriyaki glaze and a dusting of Tsunami spin. You just need a little more moisture (glaze, marinade, oil) and sugar to get better grill marks.

I've been looking at getting a CI grid, but am not sure whether to get a small one and spider or a large one. Any thoughts?

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Susan, it was nice meeting you in Ocala.

The shrimp looks good to me. I guess the CI grid has a learning curve just like all the other Egg-ses-ories!

The mussels you cooked Sat. night rocked!!! Keep up the great cooks.

CIMG3326.jpg

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini