Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table stain question for the night crew.

Options
snoqualmiesmoker
snoqualmiesmoker Posts: 265
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some help on getting a stain for my table. Made of Spruce.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    I think marine varnish would be the way to go on a wood table. Outside without a cover in the northwest (just a guess) with the rain and snow in addition to food spills spar varnish would be spot on. You might want to use a satin or semigloss if you do not like shiny. I am planning a table build soon it will be metal frame but not sure about the top.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Pork grease will cause a nice stain. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    mmm... pork grease....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I usually tell people who ask this question to go with materials and/or finishes that you would use on a boat.

I believe that's what spar urethane is for and many people here are happy with it.

I used a deck sealer for mine.

If you want your table to last, make sure you get a cover for it if it is to be stored outdoors.
  • JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Options
    snoqualmiesmoker wrote:
    Looking for some help on getting a stain for my table. Made of Spruce.

Thanks for the help!

UDS drippings... :evil:
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    Options
    Here in Bellevue, as I listen to the rain fall, once again, I'm reminded that after two years, I'm going to have to refinish my table.

I used the VAR finish and it hasn't held up to the rain. My table isn't under cover. If yours is, that will help.

The top is the problem. The rest of the table is fine.

You might seriously consider tiling the top of your table.
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Options
    I just used cedar as that should last for awhile without anything. I think next tiem I'm going to go with cedar 4x4s for the legs and a cement top/bottom. One of my hobby mags had directions on making a table kinda like those new fancy cement counter tops. I figure that would last. Could even get fancy with mosaic glass etc in the top. I do like the cedar though. I'm afraid of using any mineral oils/sealants as I believe that lowers the ignition temp of the wood.